We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lisbon, Portugal

SCOTTSDALE, ARIZONA
1 post
Save Topic
Lisbon, Portugal

My wife and I shall be visiting Lisbon November 11-13, 2004.

What is weather temperatures usually at that time of year?

What type of clother is best for day timne touring?

Will is be easy to get transportation to our crusie line, Oceania Cruises?What are some of the day tours that we might enjoy on the 11th and 12th, and can they be taken from the Holiday-Continental Hotel?

What shall the costs be in US dollars?

Good seafood resturaunts near hotel?

Rockville, Md
5 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Lisbon, Portugal

Thanks, Cinanina, for your recommendation of the Borges Hotel. It was the perfect choice for us--so central, lovely area. We just returned from Lisbon and the cruise and look forward to returning to beautiful Lisbon again.

North Yorkshire. UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Lisbon, Portugal

Excellent detailed advice from Jorgegc,and others. Thanks for your time. Going in early Feb. I am expecting wet and warm 16c shall use some of your travel plans. Any problems renting a car apart from rush hour traffic? Anyone suggest a dish?Thanks

North Yorkshire. UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Lisbon, Portugal

Have been and returned safely. Decided against the left hand drive car:the road system was difficult to pick up in a few days. Instead we used the underground. Very efficient. Headed on the first day to the Commercial Square by the river and took a tourist tram to get our bearings. Bit expensive but very useful. Two routes to choose from the tour of the hills (seven or was it more!) around the town was excellent with an English commentary. Following day afternoon trip to Sinta and the west coast from the same place was excellent. Half a day-- perhaps could have done with longer? but out of season price 20 pounds good value. Half empty bus and made to feel special by english speaking guide.

Weather 19c for four days plenty of sun. Lack of Portugese not a problem..even on the underground. No problem filling the time. Used the Mercure ( Usual good standard for a multinational, no character) (internet rate) by the Zoological Gardens and found places to eat in the area on one night but preferred to eat in town. Take the blue line to the end of the line. Baxia Chiado, plenty of places around there (or Restauradores). Use the Baxia Chaido for walking further to Commercial Square or the castle ( there is now a small charge), cathedral etc . Try the corner cafe in the square for lunch-- obvious a tourist trap but not expensive and used by the locals. Did the Gulbenkin a small walk from the hotel. Not over powering but interesting collection of paintings.

Sunday morning time to kill before flight went to the zoological gardens. Nothing to write home about: a zoo is a zoo. But go in time for the aquatic show ---jumping dolphins and wobbling seals. 11am. Well trained and rehearsed. Join the locals and join in the fun sing along and if you are unlucky to be kissed by a seal let them take the photo and buy it on the way out.

Finally I bought a FADA cd, listening to it at home is very evocative just regret I did not hear it live.

Lisbon is a must!