We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

little bit confused ?!?

Which Lisbon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
istanbul
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Topic
little bit confused ?!?

Hi to everyone,

Help needed!!!!

I posted 3 different topics about our second part of our honeymoon that will be in Lisbon and got some replies but now I'm confused than ever. I know that this information is quite long to summerize but can anyone help me??I'm working and also struggling with the weddin preparatives and want a favour from you so that I won't need to lose myself in reading the guide websites ecc...

We will be staying in Sofitel from 10 to 16 July 2007.

questions:

1) Best way to get there from airport?By taxi with approx. 10 Euro fee or any other transportation?

2) I confuse our hotel's location and all other locations, altough I read all previous recommendations and suggestions about locations ,restaurants ecc. I couln't understand the locations of Bairro Alto, Baixa , Chiado.. Where is the historical center? The nightlife? Shopping? Sofitel? Can anyone make a brief summary about locations?

3) What's the difference between Lisboa Card and tourist card and for how long the Lisboa Card is valid? Can we use it for 6 days?

4)I read the 10 recommended things to do and all other suggestions and want to know whether we can get everywhere by metro or not? What are the musts?

5) How can we get to Sintra? From which station and metro from the hotel?

Any extra suggestions are extremely welcome!

(Considering it will be a part of our honeymoon)

Thanks in advance...

Sezen & Sefa

Liaboa
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: little bit confused ?!?

Hello

Best way to get to the hotel is by taxi with approx. 10 Euro fee , pay only what is on the meter.......

Your hotel is in Avenida da Liberdade, and the center of the city is on the end of that street (Restauradores;Rossio this is what we call Baixa),form here you can go tho Chiado, Bairro Alto the Castel walking about 15 minutes..... But Lisboa is the city of the 7 hills always up and down.

To sintra you have to thake te metro to the train estation 10 minutes and the train takes about 30 minutes....

The best way is to talke to the hotel staff, they will help you.

Eny extra help I will be on the end of the street in Hotel Avenida Palace.

Hope love Lisboa as i do........

Best regards

Marta Lopes

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
487 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: little bit confused ?!?

OK, let's see if I can help you.

You deserve all the help, because you choose Lisboa for your honeymoon ;-)

First of all, it seems that you need an idea of Lisboa, at least a map, so please click on the following address:

viajar.clix.pt/com/geo.php…

Now you can see where the the airport (aeroporto) is located (well inside town), as well as the downtown centre (we call the whole area "Baixa" - it means "down area", because it is downthere, at the river level). Your hotel is located in Av da Liberdade, going from Marquês de Pombal to Baixa, wich you can better see if you scroll down that page and click on another more detailed city map (Lisbon centre).

Chiado is the "heart" of Baixa, but places like Rossio, Restauradores, Rua Augusta, etc, are also part of Baixa.

Bairro Alto, as Alfama or Mouraria, are old and typical neighbourhoods, and they are very close to Baixa, although on a higher level (Lisboa is known as having seven hills - "sete colinas", is not a flat city).

As a generic rule, the more far away you are from Baixa, the less historical buldings you find. But they are spread also in direction to Belém, among other areas.

Lisboa was founded around Castelo de S. Jorge (Lisbon Castle) and, along the many centuries, was develloped first to where now is Baixa, then, in a kind of concentric rings. That is why, for instance, we call "Avenidas novas" - New avenues, to areas like Av. de Roma, Areeiro, etc (closer to the airport) and also why Parque das Nações is the most modern neighbourhood.

Nightlife? For your age, I would say Bairro Alto, Av 24 de Julho, Docas (old docks, with many restaurants by the river), these two on the way to Belem area.

But Lisboa has a great night life, so you can find bars, disco, fado houses, etc, almost in every "Bairro".

The main shoping area is Baixa, but lately we tend to use a lot big and nice malls like "Colombo", by the Benfica stadium, or "Vasco da Gama", in Parque das Nações, or "Amoreiras", not far from Marquês de Pombal (but going up...), and others. This because you can find there almost everything, and have a meal, have a snack, go to the cinema, etc.

Upon your arrival at the airport, I recommend that you go to the inside Post Office, where they sell transportation cards and tickets, ask for their help.

We now use mainly two kinds - "Sete colinas" (now you know why it is so called) and "Lisboa viva", they will explain the differences.

They have a chip and an antenna, so you can electronically add the tickets you buy, and when you enter the tram, you just have to aproache it to the reader. The first costs only 0,50 € and you can add trips (tickets) in groups (2, 5, or 10). There are two kinds - for 1 or 2 zones, depending how far from Baixa you need to travel. I think for you 1 zone will be enough. Also there is a kind for buses and electric trams and another for those but also for the subway (Metro).

To go from the airport to the hotel, if you are not carrying too many luggage, you can catch Bus nº 91 (go outside the arrival bulding, to where the taxis wait and then walk about 50m along the side walk, to your right). I think the ticket costs 1,5 €, but ask at the PTT office if you can use one of those you are just buying.

I hope I am right on everything I am telling you, because I usually drive or take a taxi, don't use much public transportation. I know it is wrong, specially because Lisboa transportation system is very good, but that's what it is...

Sintra is a little town where you should spend an entire day of your honeymoon, it is very romantic and unique.

To go there, take the subway to "Sete-Rios", change to the train on the same station. It will take around half an hour, the trains are every 10 or 15 min. Visit the centre, eat a hot "travesseiro" at a local pastry - "Periquita", walk around a little by those narrow streets, and go visit the "Palácio da Pena" (on the top of the ill) by small bus (you can ask info at the tourism office, right there in the centre).

Suggestions? Don't miss the whole Belém area (Jerónimos monastery, tower of Belém, Museu da Marinha, etc - by the way, also don't miss a couple of "pastéis de Belém" at the pastry with the same name - to the right, when facing the monastery), nor Alfama and Bairro Alto, nor Parque das Nações area (you can go there by subway). Go also until Cascais (take the subway to "Cais do Sodré" and change to the train - a different line from the one to Sintra) always along river Tejo right margin and then walk back to Estoril by the seasidewalk, stopping here and there for a beer in one of the many coffee houses and restaurants. Take it back at Estoril to Cais do Sodré.

The rest, find by yourselves, it is always nice wondering around and Lisboa is a very safe and beautiful town, with a special light, a fine river and many nice people. I sincerely wish that it remains in your memories as the lovely place of your honeymoon.

José Manuel

Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: little bit confused ?!?

Would you recommend getting a Lisboa Card, which can be used for certain admissions in addition to transportation, over a basic transportation card?

Thanks.

Mike

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
143 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: little bit confused ?!?

Why Lisboa Card?

You don't need to worry... please check: http://www.askmelisboa.com/frame_set_uk.htm

There you can find all the information about the prices the what is included...

You have :

LisboaCard

1 day LisboaCard

2 days LisboaCard

3 days

Adults 14.85€ 25.50 € 31.00 €

Children (5-11) 7.50 € 12.75€ 15.50 €

Prices valid from January 1st 2007 until March 31st 2008

LISBOA CARD

YOUR PASS TO LISBON REGION!

FREE Access on public transportation ( buses, trams, lifts,underground and trains to Sintra and Cascais )

FREE Entrance in Museums and Monuments - Discounts until 50% in other places of tourism interest...

And:

Free Carris - Public transport in buses, trams and lifts - www.carris.pt

Free Metropolitano de Lisboa - Underground - www.metrolisboa.pt

Free CP - Train Line Sintra - Sete Rios - Oriente - www.cp.pt

Free CP - Train Line Cais do Sodré - Cascais - www.cp.pt

Free Jerónimos Monastery - www.mosteirojeronimos.pt

Free Belém Tower -www.ippar.pt

Free National Pantheon - www.ippar.pt

Free Ajuda National Palace - www.ippar.pt

Free Queluz National Palace - www.ippar.pt

Free Mafra National Palace - www.ippar.pt

Free Sintra National Palace - www.ippar.pt

Free Pena National Palace - www.ippar.pt

Free Dr. Anastácio Gonçalves Dwelling Museum - www.cmag-ipmuseus.pt

Free St Anthony´s Museum - www.cm-lisboa.pt/turismo/

Free City Museum - www.cm-lisboa.pt/turismo/

Free Music Museum - www.museudamusica-ipmuseus.pt

Free Folk Art Museum - www.ipmuseus.pt

Free Chiado Museum - www.museudochiado-ipmuseus.pt

Free Geological Museum - www.ineti.pt

Free National Archaeology Museum - www.ipmuseus.pt

Free National Ancient Art Museum - www.ipmuseus.pt

Free National Tile Museum - www.ipmuseus.pt

Free National Ethnology Museum - www.ipmuseus.pt

Free National Theatre Museum - www.museudoteatro-ipmuseus.pt

Free National Costume Museum - www.ipmuseus.pt

Free Roman Theatre Museum -www.cm-lisboa.pt/turismo/

Free National Coach Museum - www.ipmuseus.pt

Free Air Museum - www.emfa.pt/www/po/musar

Free Pena Park - www.parquesdesintra.pt

Free Cold Greenhouse - www.cm-lisboa.pt

60% Carris - Aerobus - www.carris.pt

50% Carristur - Sintra - www.carris.pt

30% Tourist Train - Belém - www.carris.pt

40% Parque das Nações

25% Carris - Hills Tour / Discoveries Tour - Sightseeing Tour in an old tramcar -www.carris.pt

25% Carristur - Tagus Tour / Olisipo Tour - www.carris.pt

25% Lisboa Vista do Tejo Cruise - www.lvt.pt

33% Lisbon Walker - The city step by step - www.lisbonwalker.com

20% Sidecar Touring - Sightseeing Tours - www.sidecartouring.co.pt

20% Transtejo - Tagus Cruise - www.transtejo.pt

15% Cityrama / Gray Line - Sightseeing Tours - www.cityrama.pt

10% Train and Bus - Sintra - Cabo da Roca - Cascais - Sintra - www.scotturb.com

10% Inside Tours - Fun Daytrips and Walk tours - www. Insidelisbon.com

-5€ Walk Tours Lisboa - Venga a descubrir Lisboa en sensacionales paseos à pie - //walk.impactus.pt

50% Arpad Szenes - Vieira da Silva Foundation - www.fasvs.pt

50% Water Museum - www.museudaagua.epal.pt

50% Science Museum - www.museu-da-ciencia.ul.pt

50% Macau Scientific and Cultural Centre Museum - www.cccm.mctes.pt

50% Calouste Gulbenkian Planetarium - www.planetario.online.pt

30% Toy Museum - www.museu-do-brinquedo.pt

30% Fado Museum - www.egeac.pt

30% Tramcars and Buses Museum - www.carris.pt

30% Puppet Museum - www.egeac.pt

30% St. George Castle - Olisipónia, Câmara Escura, Galeria do Castelo, Casa do Governador - www.egeac.pt

30% Discoveries Monument - www.egeac.pt

30% Lisboa Experience - Audiovisual show - www.lisbonexperience.pt

25% Maritime Museum - www.museumarinha.pt

20% Modern Art Center - www.gulbenkian.pt

20% São Luiz Municipal Theatre -www.teatrosaoluiz.egeac.pt

20% Portuguese Decorative Art Museum - www.fress.pt

20% Calouste Gulbenkian Museum - www.gulbenkian.pt

20% Military Museum - www.geira.pt/militar

20% Carmo Archeologic Museum - www.cm-lisboa.pt/turismo/

20% Knowledge Pavillion - www.pavconhecimento.pt

20% Vasco da Gama Aquarium - Exhibitions and Selling of tropical fresh water fishes - www.aquariovgama.pt

15% Lisboa Zoo -www.zoolisboa.pt

15% Lisbon Oceanarium - www.oceanario.pt

20% Belém Cultural Centre - Exhibitions - www.ccb.pt

10% Performances

10% Culturgest - Exhibitions - www.culturgest.pt

€ 2 Monserrate Park - Sintra - www.parquesdesintra.pt

€ 2 Capuchos Convent - Sintra -www.parquesdesintra.pt

€ 2 Moorish Castle - Sintra - www.parquesdesintra.pt

20% Quinta do Sanguinhal - Oldseller - Free wine taste - www.vinhos-sanguinhal.pt

10% Torres Joalheiros - Jewellery - www.torres.pt

10% Valentim de Carvalho - Records Shop - www.valentim.pt

10% Adega Mesquita - Fado House Restaurant - www.adegamesquita.com

5% Tagus Craft Shop - www.askmelisboa.com

5% Fábrica Cerâmica Viúva Lamego - Tiles and pottery - www.viuvalamego.com

Helps?

istanbul
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: little bit confused ?!?

Dear LiaboaMarta, Esquilo, Mike from Boston and PortugalLost!!

I really appreciate your kind replies, you saved me from getting more confused during all my hard preparatives for the wedding! Now I know what to do!!

If you need any information about Istanbul and Turkey, I'm always available.. I'a turkish incoming tour operator.. Just contact me for any info...

Sezen

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
487 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: little bit confused ?!?

Mike

As you can see above, it all depends on what you want to do.

If you want to travel around a lot and visit museums, then it is worthwhile to give about 25€ for a two days ticket, otherwise it is cheaper to use the normal sete colinas.

Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: little bit confused ?!?

Sounds good. Thanks for the advice.

Mike

8. Re: little bit confused ?!?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:13 am, June 16, 2007
9. Re: little bit confused ?!?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, September 02, 2009