We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rail day trip

Which Lisbon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Indianapolis
12 posts
Save Topic
Rail day trip

We're going to Lisbon in August and are interested in taking a one-day, rail excursion. We're thinking of up to a two hour train ride and then spending 6-8 hours exploring/sight seeing before heading back to Lisbon. Is Porto a possibility? What are some other destinations?

Thank you

Lagos, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos
Level Contributor
4,793 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rail day trip

Lisbon to Porto is now 2:40 minutes with the new summer timetable.

There is a 7:09 departure from Gare Oriente that arrives Porto 9:44

There is a 8:09 departure from Gare Oriente that arrives Porto 10:52

Return

There is a 19:52 from Porto Campanha arriving Gare Oriente 23:00

There is a 20:47 from Porto Campanha arriving Gare Oriente 23:30

To my mind it is eminently doable.

See Portuguese Railways for more info at www.cp.pt

Indianapolis
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rail day trip

Obrigado! That schedule should allow for a great day trip. If just 7-8 hours in Porto, what would you suggest?

Lagos, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos
Level Contributor
4,793 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rail day trip

Ah!

I suggest you ask that question in the Porto Forum as I know Lisbon and the South much better than the North.

Certainly the river area of Porto, maybe a short trip up the Douro River to a vineyard!

Have a look at this link! It may help you in the right direction.

…blogspot.com/2007/05/rail-and-river-tours-o…

Alentejo, Portugal
Level Contributor
420 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Rail day trip

You also have theUNESCO World Heritage city of Évora 2 hours away by train, I think Porto would be too far and you wouldn't have much time to see it before coming back.

Lagos, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos
Level Contributor
4,793 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rail day trip

Evora is lovely but there is one draw back however.

You will be travelling in August and at that time Evora will more than likely be scorching with temps circa 30ºC to 40ºC plus as it is situated well inland in the Alentejo.

Although Porto would be a long day the coastal and riverine influence will make it cooler. You will probably only have time to do a couple of things but I suspect it will be a more comfortable day.

Evora, Beja, and the inland Spanish Andalucian cities such as Seville really should be visited between October and June.

6. Re: Rail day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 pm, September 01, 2009