We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good restaurants and areas to recommend at night please?

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Good restaurants and areas to recommend at night please?

Hi all,

I will be in Lisbon over the next few days and am travelling alone. I am a fairly seasoned traveller and very careful, however have been reading up a lot on pickpocketing etc.

I want to be able to explore areas later on in the evening as well as the day. Is it easy to eat out in local Portuguese restaurants as a solo traveller? Any good recommendations for budget/mid-range seafood places and which areas may be best?

Thanks very much!

Sally

Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
Lisbon District, Portugal
5 replies to this topic
Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
667 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good restaurants and areas to recommend at night please?

Hi,

Pick pocketing is a concern if you don't take care of your belongings. Use common sense and you'll be fine, Lisbon is a very secure place. What you mean by etc??? A lot of pick-pocketing? Sure, not more than in Barcelona, Paris, London and so on....

Is it easy to eat out in local Portuguese restaurants as a solo traveller? YES

For nigh tout, Bairro alto is the SPOT in Lisbon, lots of restaurants, bars, clubs. Lisbon is a city were everybody stays in the streets late in the night, drinking in the streets is permitted, so you'll see lots of people hanging in the streets drinking and chatting. It's a very safe place since the police is all over the place.

For mid range restaurants (20 Euros):

Pesqueiro 25

Páteo do Avillez

Ibo

Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
London
London
England, UK
Bairro Alto
Bairro Alto
10,824 Reviews
Lisbon, Portugal
Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good restaurants and areas to recommend at night please?

Thank you so much for your help! By "etc" I mean being offered drugs. I will look at your recommendations :)

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
667 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good restaurants and areas to recommend at night please?

Hi SallyToulon,

Try one of the many restaurants in Bairro Alto district, the High district, Portuguese dine late, never before 8PM.

There are a lot of signs in the streets saying that most of drugs in Lisbon are fake, the guys are selling bay leafs. Can you imagine guys selling drugs in plain day light in the city center without Police doing nothing?? Not possible, drugs are not legal in Portugal. If someone approach you, say No politely and walk away, nothing wrong will happen to you. There are several police stations around the city center, one close to the biggest plaza of Lisbon, Praça do Comercio, another in Restauradores Plaza and several more. Keep the emergency number with you, 112.

Portugal is the 3rd saffest country in the world. Has i said, use common sense.

Good luck and enjoy Lisbon

Edited: 8:42 am, June 13, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Bairro Alto
Bairro Alto
10,824 Reviews
Lisbon, Portugal
Lisbon
Lisbon
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good restaurants and areas to recommend at night please?

Sea Me

Cantinho do Avillez

Both a couple of my favorite restaurants in the center of things.

Re drugs: I have been to Lisbon in four occasions, twice with my sister, twice with my husband ...never been offered drugs. My husband on the other hand was constantly offered drugs... it was always in a very easy going, non offensive way. “Hash?” “Cocaine” as they walk past you. Nothing to be afraid of

Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good restaurants and areas to recommend at night please?

Thanks so much both for your help :) excited now!

Reply to: Good restaurants and areas to recommend at night please?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;