We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary check

Florida, USA
Level Contributor
278 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary check

Hello. We are excited our trip is coming soon. I would love your opinions on our itinerary.

Thurs - arrive via train from Lagos in the late afternoon. Settle into Alfama apartment. Wander/dinner around apartment.

Fri -

Morning in Belem.

Lunch at Time Out Market.

Afternoon Lisbon Photo walking tour of Bairro Alto and Castelo. (Starts at Rossio, hope it includes Carmo Convent and Bica, but not sure)

Sunset at Castle

Sat -

Fiera de Ladra

Wandering around Alfama

Visit any miradouros and other points of interest not yet visited

Sunset at a rooftop bar or miradouro. Recommendations?

Sun - Sintra

Pena Palace (outside only)

Moors Castle

Quinta de Regalaria

Can't decide if we should do Quinta first then Pena and Moors or start at Pena. This is the day of the time change. When will I be able to purchase advance tickets online?

Mon - depart early morning.

12 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
239 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary check

Friday looks too rushed. Take into consideration…

Belem; is about 40 minutes west from central Lisbon by Tram 15E measuring from Comercio Square, and many people spend a full day in Belem visiting the many sights, two main sights are Monestario de Jeronimos, Belem Tower, both which open at 10 am. If you attempt to do a morning only to visit any of these you should pre-purchase your tickets on-line so that you can go to the front of the ticket buyers line and not wait in the long ticket buying lines, otherwise much of your morning will be spent in waiting in lines. (At Monestario do Jeronimos there is usually a long ticket buyers line, and ticket holders should be able to to to the front of that line and show the attendant your ticket and get in quickly.) (At Belem Tower there are usually two lines, on the Left a long ticket buyers line, on the Right a shorter ticket holders line, there is usually a shorter wait in the ticket holders line… the wait is because they can only let a certain number of people up at any one time due to the smaller size… in Sept we waited about 1/2 hour even though we were in the ticket holders line.). If you want to spend only a morning in Belem you may only have time for one of these sights, due to the wait and the distances between them.

Bairro Alto; is on a hill on the West Side of Central Lisbon, and includes, Carmo Covent & Museum, you can get up the hill using; the Ascendor da Bica at the south end of Barrio Alto (just north of Time Out Market); or Ascendor Gloria which is at the north end accessed from Restauradores Square; or Elevator Santa Justa which is at the mid point just south of Rossio Square (this is a popular tourist site in itself so there will most likely will be line ups to use this, so just at least get some pictures very ornate nice historic structure.)

Alfama; is on a hill on the East Side of Central Lisbon, and includes Castelo Sao Jorge which I think is open until 9 pm until Oct 31, and only until 6 pm after Oct 31. Sunset in Lisbon in late October I think starts around 5:30pm and Twilight at 7:00 pm, therefore if you want to be sure you are here for the sunset it will mean timing the earlier part of your day accurately but I would suggest moving Castelo Sao Jorge to Saturday instead of trying to squeeze it on Friday. The area also includes the main Sé Cathedral, St. Anthony Church, etc.

Baxia; is on the flat live area between the hills Bairro Alto and Alfma, and includes Rossio Square, Fig Tree Square, Comercio Square, main tourist strip Rua Augusta, Elevador Santa Just, Church of São Domingos, etc.

Sintra: is about 40 minutes from central Lisbon by Train. After arriving at the train station, many people start their day at the very top of the mountain Pena Palace and then work their way down next to Moorish Castle, and then back to town and to Quinta De La Regalaria, Sintra National Palace, and central Sintra. You can pre-purchase tickets on-line for Pena Palace and Moorish Caslte and National Palace, but tickets for Quinta De La Regalaria are cash purchased at the sight. The local bus from city centre to the to of the mountain can be busy and many people just pay for a taxi to get to the top instead of waiting for the local bus. Note: to get from the Pena Palace main entrance to the actual Palace entrance is a smaller bus for which you need to pay an extra few Euros when you purchased you tickets on-line, or you can walk it but it's quite a hike up-hill.

You can buy a Viva Vigem Card at a Metro Station for each person .50 Euros each for the cads, and load it using your credit card with an amount approximately for the rides you will be using. E.G. It works on the Metro but also Tram, Train to Sintra, Elevator Santa Justa, Ascendor Bic or Gloria. Not sure exactly but each ride is about 2 Euros, and slightly more for Train to Sintra. You can add to it it you run out but that's inconvenient especially if you are there for a few days only, because you would have to go back to a Metro station, so try to estimate your rides and knowing you might have some money left over on there that can't be refunded. Theoretically you can pay on-board, but the trams are full and it’s difficult to use the machine in the crowds, and i’m told there can be lines to buy the train tickets to Sintra at the station. Much easier to buy the Viva Vigem card and then you just tap it when boarding (green light is good red light means you need to tap again) and it deducts the amount of the ride from your card and flashes the remaining amount.

Hope that helps. Enjoy your trip! Good luck.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
24,983 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary check

When will I be able to purchase advance tickets online? The prices change on October 28, so probbaly only on October 27th.

Florida, USA
Level Contributor
278 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary check

Thank you both.

I will definitely rethink Belem timing. The 10am opening is tough. We only would want to go inside the Monestary and would just see the outside of Belem Tower.

If we pre-purchased Sintra tickets online the day before, where could we go to print them? Or can we show the tickets on a phone? Or should we just arrive when the gates open and purchase onsite? Trying to decide which would require the least amount of time.

Thanks!

Florida, USA
Level Contributor
278 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary check

What about this for Friday:

Uber to Belem

1. Pasteis de Belem after 8am opening for breakfast.

2. Walk around outside of Belem Tower.

3. Jerenimos Monestery at 10am.

4. Uber to Time Out around 12-12:30.

5. Meet at Rossio square for Lisbon Photo Tour at 2pm?

Or should we lunch in Belem and then go straight from there to Rossio, saving Time Out for another day?

Dunstable...
Level Contributor
2,328 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary check

I would consider doing Sintra on the Saturday for two reason. Sintra is always crowded but I think even more crowded on Sunday or at least it was when we were there in a November for three days. The other reason is you have a great deal of walking and dealing with crowds on your last full day in Lisbon if you keep it on the Sunday. I think it would be much more pleasant to do what you have planned in the Alfama (more relaxed) on last full day in Lisbon being the Sunday. I always plan my last day in Lisbon to be more relaxing so I go home with fond memories of that special last dinner and just walking about.

As to Belem and Time Out, you can do Time Out any time during your visit. There is so much to do in Belem and I wouldn't want to be rushed to make it to Time Out for lunch. Keep in mind that the church at Jeronimos is free and doesn't require tickets. I happen to love this church and always plan a return when we are in Lisbon. If you want to visit another museum in Belem, the National Coach Museum has one of the best carriage collections in all of world. The Old Royal Riding School is a fabulous building and you can get a ticket for both. I have never seen lines at the National Coach Museum.

Just a thought or two.

Florida, USA
Level Contributor
278 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary check

Thanks for the advice. I really wanted to spend Saturday in Alfama to browse Fiera de Ladra, and the lazy day gives us a break between a heavy touring day in Lisbon and then a heavy touring day in Sintra. We are traveling multiple places in Portugal so I don't feel a need for the last day to be in Lisbon specifically.

I would like to see the Cloisters at the Monestary. I was under the impression that required a ticket. Can someone please confirm?

Dunstable...
Level Contributor
2,328 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary check

Yes, to see the Cloisters you have to have a ticket and I think you can purchase them in advance. I just tried the link that @ptnov64 posted in May being https:/…Default.aspx and it is coming up in Portuguese only even when I click on English.... Maybe @ptnov64 has the answer.

We visited the Cloisters years ago on a short trip to Lisbon when I purchased the Lisboa Card and had free admittance but still had to stand in the long line. I doubt that this has changed. There was only one kindly lady selling tickets or confirming tickets and it went very slowly. Not sure about the new online system and how things have changed.

Level Contributor
239 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary check

I think what you suggested is physically possible you have to keep an eye on the time you spend to make sure you get to your Tour on time. Two things to be careful of for timing, the time travelling between Monastery/Pasties Belem area and Belem Tower area directly is about 1/2 hour walking each way, to save time you will may need to take tuk tuk rides instead (I’m not sure of their availability or cost as we walked it). Then at Time Out Market, for us was longer waiting for our orders. If you do a quick grab and go sandwich lunch somewhere it will free up some more time for you at the Monastery or Tower. Good luck. Enjoy your trip.

Florida, USA
Level Contributor
278 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary check

Thank you! Tuk tuk is a great suggestion.

Portalegre, Portugal
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary check

"Monastery/Pasties Belem area and Belem Tower area directly is about 1/2 hour walking each way, to save time you will may need to take tuk tuk rides instead".

Not hard to do that walk in 20 minutes, or, better still, just skip the Tower - with all the time in the world it's worth a peek (to the outside), but with limited time, personally, I think it's probably the most overrated "attraction" in all of Lisbon.

Reply to: Itinerary check
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted