We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for 6 days in Portugal

Cincinnati, Ohio
1 post
Save Topic
Itinerary for 6 days in Portugal

Any suggestions for some must-see places in Portugal, starting in Lisbon -we only have 6 days. Is it best to travel by train to these places or get buses? We priced semi-private and private car tours but those are very pricey. We are happy to combine small bus tours with train trips and would love any personal recommendations.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
24,971 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for 6 days in Portugal

6 days is short, so divide 3 in Lisbon and 3 in Porto, travel by train between Lisbon and Porto and do day tours to surrounding towns by train or bus.

What are your interests?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for 6 days in Portugal

Thank you for the quick response - we are interested in history and nature.

Level Contributor
194 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for 6 days in Portugal

Have posted before on this same subject. As with many countries Portugal has varied regions, you might see 2-3 in your 6 days - anymore will be a constant tour with no relaxation (or I feel, appreciation).

Porto you could do a trip up the Douro valley and a trip to Braga.

Lisbon - stay fairly local, Sinatra maybe (personally I wouldn't bother but many see it as a 'must'. A trip to Belem is nice. I like the ferry across to Cacilhas to see Lisbon from the river.

I think less (travel) is more in 6 days.

Dunstable...
Level Contributor
2,321 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary for 6 days in Portugal

I guess I slightly disagree with the idea of dividing time between Lisbon and Porto. We have been to Lisbon numerous times and found that there was so much to do in the Lisbon area that it really needs more than three days.

One of the big issues I have when I travel is both travel time and time involved in changing hotels. It can eat up your vacation time sitting on a train or even finding a new hotel. IF I only had six days, I would stay in Lisbon for all six days and do day trips. Get comfortable with Lisbon which is a delightful city. Spend time exploring the different areas/neighborhoods and get comfortable with the marvelous transportation system.

History abounds in Lisbon. You step out the door of your hotel and you are in history! As to nature, I am not exactly sure what you are referring to. I love the river walks that we have done and you have so many options via public transportation to visit places such as Cascais or Sintra. You are only a ferry ride away to Cacilhas.

One of the things I have learned from our years of travel is less is perhaps more. Get comfortable and enjoy in a relaxed schedule. Schedule for today: Walk about and see what you like! Schedule for tomorrow: Do the same but maybe add another neighborhood. Spend some sitting in a special place (my special place is Largo do Carmo) and watch the world go by.

Seek out what interests you and definitely do some research beforehand. I am not a good person to ask since I am a history nut and horse person. Every time we return to Lisbon, I have places I want to return to and try to balance it with new places that might not be as easy to get to on our previous trips.

No matter what we have done, Lisbon has never disappointed us. It has definitely become our favorite capital city in Europe and we have been to most especially for Hubby's work. Another reason we love to return to Lisbon are the people. When you take your time, you can met some incredible people whether you are sitting at an outdoor café or having dinner at good restaurant that the locals like. This is one of the reasons we love Lisbon.

Level Contributor
194 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary for 6 days in Portugal

For those understanding 'nature' and visiting Portugal, Lisbon of course is not the place.

I found the National Park at Geres stunning (fly in to Porto) - check out this video https://youtu.be/fEQD70wQLlQ (I don't know the tour company).

This is a remote area and takes time to get to.

6. Re: Itinerary for 6 days in Portugal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 23, 2018