We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What I do not understand about Lisbon

Which Lisbon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
8 posts
Save Topic
What I do not understand about Lisbon

Lisbon is such a beautiful place. Its people are so friendly. Tourism is a Golden Egg for Lisbon and for Portugal. Yet, there is a tiny little problem which stiffles Tourist expenditure, and that is PickPocketing.

The Police know that tourist spend money. The police also know that petty thieves pick the pockets of tourists who are about to board the trams.

The police will even tell you WHICH trams, these pick pockets frequent i.e. the trams to & from Belem and the Castelo.

And yet, there appears to be minimal preventive action.

They even advise tourists not to travel with too much money. Now, HOW on earth does that help the economy?

Is there a Chamber of Commerce in Lisbon? Are they interested at all?

It is important to note that the presence of the police on the trains and on train stations at night is a very important facet in petty crime prevention.

It's not good enough for the Lisbon authorities to say that crime in Lisbon is minimal compared to other major cities. Everything starts small. Time to wake up from your siesta guys.

Florida
8 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: What I do not understand about Lisbon

I agree with most of what you folks have written but, as a Portuguese myself, I looking at how tourists can be encouraged to spend more money in Portugal.

Tourists do not spend more money if they are nervous about pickpockets.

Furthermore, the police know which tram routes and tube stations are the troublesome ones. Would you agree that a little closed circuit TV monitoring would be a good idea?