We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel From Lisbon airport to Fatima

Washington DC...
2 posts
Save Topic
Travel From Lisbon airport to Fatima

Hello,

Can you recommend us the best way to go to Fatima from Lisbon airport. Is it easy to rent a car or just catch a bus. We are from US and I am not 100% confident driving in Portugal. is the steering wheels on left and driving traffic on the right hand side? Otherwise, if we are taking a bus, can you tell us how and where to start?

Thank you,

Molly

Mentioned in this post
Fatima
Fatima
Santarem District, Portugal
Lisbon
Lisbon
Lisbon District, Portugal
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
53,757 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel From Lisbon airport to Fatima

It's not all that easy to catch a bus as they go from the Sete Rios bus station which is about four miles away from the airport. The trip between airport and bus station can be made by taxi, metro subway train or bus. Metro train is the cheapest and quickest every few minutes for €2.25, bus is €3,50 runs every half hour, taxi I don't know as I am too mean to pay for taxis when there's an alternative.

Buses to Fátima run about once every hour, seven days a week. The journey takes 90 minutes and costs €11,50 one way.

You can get exact times at www.rede-expressos.pt in English if you click the British flag.

(The Bus station is called Sete Rios but if you take the metro the station there is called Jardim Zoologico - it's next to the bus station.)

Driving here is on the same side of the road as the USA although the rules of the road are different. The drive from the airport will take maybe an hour, the highways are toll roads for the most part.

Mentioned in this post
Sete
Sete
Herault, France
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
23,338 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel From Lisbon airport to Fatima

The steering wheels and driving traffic is on the same side as in the US, our cars have manual gear box but you can rent an automatic at an extra fee.

From the airport you can take the Aerobus that goes to Sete Rios bus station and take a bus to Fátima. There are buses going to Fátima almost every hour, it's easy to go there. http://www.rede-expressos.pt/default.aspx; yellowbustours.com/en/…

Malveira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos, Mafra
Level Contributor
5,335 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel From Lisbon airport to Fatima

Firstly, this and similiar subjects has been addressed several times in the past year. Can I suggest that you search this and the Portugal forum using the search tool provided!

In addition to Cubsur's wise counsel, bear in mind that vehicles this side of the Pond tend to have manual shift. You need to specify and probabl pay a premium if you wanted a vehicle with automatic shift.

I don't know if you do French, but here is an article I wrote a week ago about getting from Lisbon to Fatima by public transport.

…blogspot.pt/2013/01/lisbonne-fatima.html

If I have time in the next 24 hours, I may try and post an English translation.

Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
Fatima
Fatima
Toronto, Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel From Lisbon airport to Fatima

The best way to go Fatima from the airport is just to contact one of the local tours. When we were in Lisbon last year, we had Top Ten tours (http://www.toptentours.eu/)

and it was more economical, very convenient and efficient. You don't have to worry about where you're going. Besides Fatima, we were able to go to a lot more places in and around Lisbon.

Mentioned in this post
Fatima
Fatima
Lisbon
Lisbon
Washington DC...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel From Lisbon airport to Fatima

Thank you everyone for giving me some tips. We are traveling in March and I would really like to prepare for this trip. I am trying to find the best economical way to go to Fatima. Private transfer sounds good to me but they are so expensive. I am not 100% confident in driving either. We are 5 in the group, do you think it's worth taking the public transportation? I checked the website but it's not in English. I am still open to any suggestions.

Mentioned in this post
Fatima
Fatima
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
23,338 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel From Lisbon airport to Fatima

www.rede-expressos has an english page, just look for the UK flag.

Malveira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos, Mafra
Level Contributor
5,335 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel From Lisbon airport to Fatima

OK! Here we go!

I have managed to do a quick translation and update the information on how to get to Fatima by public transport. Please bear in mind that while a lot of information is available in English, not all bus timetables etc. will be.

Have a look at:

http://goo.gl/THRbE

Mentioned in this post
Fatima
Fatima
Colombo, Sri Lanka
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel From Lisbon airport to Fatima

Hi,

I can't find the the station Sete Rios in the www.rede-expressos.pt is there another name?

Mentioned in this post
Sete
Sete
Herault, France
Colombo, Sri Lanka
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel From Lisbon airport to Fatima

Hi,

I'm unable to find the bus station Sete Rios in the www.rede-expressos.pt is there another name?

Mentioned in this post
Sete
Sete
Herault, France
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
53,757 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel From Lisbon airport to Fatima

It's just called LISBOA.

Sete Rios is the only place they stop in Lisbon

Rede Expressos website does not tell you which bus station their buses use in the big cities.

Edited: 7:33 am, June 26, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Sete
Sete
Herault, France