We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thoughts on Cascais

australia
Level Contributor
278 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Thoughts on Cascais

Can someone tell me is Cascais worth staying in for 2 weeks. We have the opportunity to stay in an apartment with Ocean views. Does it have a Portuguese old town feel or is it high rise apartments and too big? Is Algrave region better. We like the ocean, surf and meet the locals, history, nature

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
18,835 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thoughts on Cascais

"Is Algarve region better. We like the ocean, surf and meet the locals, history, nature" - in one word, No. To find a "portuguese old town feel" in the Algarve, by the coast, is to find a needle on an hay stack. When are you coming? In Cascais you are close to everything you mention, especially with a 2 weeks stay. Cascais is a town where people live, it's not just a sea resort for foreigners, so you'll find the locals there. In Lisboa you have the history, monuments, museums, etc (it's a 40min train ride, very frequent and cheap). In Sintra you have the history, romance and mistery (50 min bus ride, by the coast with a great scenary). In Guincho you have the surf and all other beach sports (30 min bus ride). If you want to go to the surf meca, it's Ericeira (it's better to go by car, about 40/50 min).

Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
3,126 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thoughts on Cascais

Having spent a week in Cascais this past June, would highly recommend a 2 week stay. Lots to see and do both in Cascais itself, as well as being a great base for trips to Lisbon, Sintra, etc.

ENjoy!

australia
Level Contributor
278 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thoughts on Cascais

Thank you for both replies. It has reassured me that we have made the right decision. We did have the opportunity to stay in Algarve but it did not seem to offer enough of what we wanted , though the beaches look lovely. We did not want to be surrounded by expats and holiday resorts.

We are going in mid September.

TravelBug I did read your trip report which gave me plenty of info.

Also thank you 64novpt for the info on how long it takes to reach Lisbon and Sintra. I was in Portugal in the 70's and traveled down the coast in the trusty Kombi van visiting the many small villages famous for its surf, look forward to revisiting and discovering other areas of this lovely country.

Forcalquier, France
Level Contributor
71 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thoughts on Cascais

Hi Mandy

You may find that Portugal has changed a lot since the 70s'..!

I fully agree with what 64Novpt and TravelBugMiss have written. I will just add that Cascais and Estoril are very touristic and posh towns. However, it grants an easy access to Lisbon, and Sintra, and if you rent a car, to Costa de Caparica (South) and Silver Coast (North).

Have fun

ETV

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
18,835 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thoughts on Cascais

September is great, all the August crowds have gone and the weather is usually as good. Have a look at http://www.costaalentejana.com.pt/, it's the region where you can find some unique beaches.

6. Re: Thoughts on Cascais

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 21, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Cascais