We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Six days in Portugal

Which Cascais hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denver
Level Contributor
139 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Six days in Portugal

I have searched the forums, but would like any members advice on how to best spend time in this fine country. A few details:

1.) Arrive on Sunday, Sep 30.

2.) Love history, museums

3.) Prefer public transportation if at all possible, but not adverse to car if better option

4.) Traveling alone, very high energy level, like to see as much as possible, without spending too much time on traveling from place to place.

5.) Prefer to stay at only 2-3 hotels for the six days to minimize hassle.

Thanks in advance for any trip ideas!

Tom

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
16,277 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Six days in Portugal

Is there a particular reason for you to post this question at the Cascais forum? Because it seems that you want to travel along the country. My advice is stay in Lisboa for the most of the time. From Lisboa you can go by public bus or train to cities/villages like Sintra, Tomar, Évora, Óbidos on day tours. If you decide to add Porto I think that you should stay at least 1 night there. http://www.golisbon.com/; http://www.portoturismo.pt/Visitar/Paginas/default.aspx; …cm-evora.pt/guiaturistico/…itinerary.htm

Denver
Level Contributor
139 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Six days in Portugal

Thanks! And yes, thought I was back in the Portugal forum, not the Cascais forum.

It is attractive to operate out of Lisboa, if I did an overnight, sounds like Porto would be the pick?

Thanks again!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
50 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Six days in Portugal

My wife and I just spent a week in Portugal. Not much time but it was our first trip there and we saw a few nice places; Evora, Monsaraz, Lisbon, Sintra peninsula, Porto & Duoro valley. Friends drove us from Sevilla to Cascais so we toured Alentejo by car. Alentejo is pretty rural so that may be tough to see by train. We used Cascais as a base rather than Lisbon because we prefer smaller towns. It was very touristy but a train runs hourly between Cascais and Lisbon (40 minutes) so we were able to visit Lisbon for a day. Lisbon's a compact city so you can either spend 6 days or 6 hours there and we chose the later. We rented a car in Cascais one day to tour the Sintra peninsula. We took the train from Lisbon to Porto. From Porto, we took the 7:30am train to Pinhao and caught a 90 minute boat tour to Tua which was great. You'l find Portugal beautiful, friendly and inexpensive. Have fun!

4. Re: Six days in Portugal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, October 02, 2013