We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cascais or Carcavelos

Which Cascais hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
La Foye de Vinax
Level Contributor
100 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Cascais or Carcavelos

My husband and I are visiting this area for the first time and would like some information on the two towns. We have found an ideal apartment in each destination but cannot make our minds up which area will suit us best. We enjoy eating out and experiencing local life. We do not need nightclubs or discos!

Cascais, Portugal
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cascais or Carcavelos

Hi,

Cascais is a really good place to walk around, chill, have a good meal, get to Lisbon, to Sintra, etc.

At the center of Cascais you have a train that goes to Lisbon (35/40 minutes) running all the time and you can get to Sintra by bus (bus station near the train station).

Carcavelos is between Cascais and Lisbon (the train station also stops there).

If your doubt was between Cascais and Lisbon I couldn't really answer you, it would depend on your style (if you like cities, etc).

Probably you find cheaper hotels or apartments in Carcavelos but I wouldn't recommend staying there.

Cascais has some reasonable beaches (all the way to Carcavelos) but the best ones start at Guincho and all the way to Sintra (and all these is easier to reach if you stay in Cascais). Even if you don't come in the summer If you like the sea, some beaches are really worth seeing! Praia da Adraga (Adraga beach) has a good restaurant, not expensive, in front of the beach. Cascais center is like a village, although of its big size. Search for photos, I think it is far more pleasant then Carcavelos...

Hope it helps!

Rita

Scotland
Level Contributor
24 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cascais or Carcavelos

You've probably already made your decision... but if not I would definately stay in Cascais rather than Carcavelos. The beach at Carcavelos is great, however you can visit this if you wish on the train from Cascais (doesnt take long). Cascais as some beaches in the town and as the other user has said also has beaches heading out the other way to Guincho.

Cascais has a lot bigger choice of restaurants, cafes, bars and a promenade where you can walk to Estoril and experience the beaches / restaurants here too. Hope this helps

Commerce Township...
Level Contributor
43 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cascais or Carcavelos

If it is not too late, I would stay in Cascais. My husband and I stayed at Casa da Pergola house for 3 nites in 2009. The town is very walkable with street pavers laid in fashion of the sea. Lots of shops and restaurants. Across from the Casa Pergola , the most photographed house in the town; is a hole in the wall restaurant serving the cheapest and freshest sea bass. The bus depot to Pena Palace is very close to walk to. The train station is also very close to visit Lisbon for the day. Do visit Belem and go the famous coffee and pastry shop, namely Pasteleria de Belem. They have the delicious custard tartes or cakes. A small mall and grocery store is in Cascais. It is great just to walk around in Cascais.

4. Re: Cascais or Carcavelos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:48 pm, August 26, 2013
5. Re: Cascais or Carcavelos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, April 28, 2013