We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Note: Belem is only a civil parish of the city of Lisbon

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
156 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Note: Belem is only a civil parish of the city of Lisbon

Information:

For some odd reason, Trip Advisor (TA) treats Belem like a different city, like the adress of the Tower of Belem.

There's no such thing as Belem city.

In Portugal, the main political division of the territory is Municipalities and their subdivision of civil parishes.

Belem is the west-southernmost civil parish of the city of Lisbon (city of Lisbon = Lisbon Municipality).

The city of Lisbon or the Lisbon Municipality is administratively organized by 24 civil parishes. Belem is just only one of them. Here's a map of the recent reform of the city of Lisbon with the civil parishes (they used to be 53, by the way): …ecivitas.net/conteudos/…20Cidade.jpg

The civil parish is basically the combination of several neighbourhoods or only a neighbourhood, depends on their size. Each one have some political powers, they have their own Assembly where they debate the neighbourhoods problems.

Maybe TA is confusing the district of Lisbon with the Municipality of Lisbon.

The district of Lisbon is Portugal's regional section of several municipalities, like Oeiras, Amadora, Cascais and so on. Here's a map of Lisbon's district Municipalities: cases.pt/0_content/…lisboa.gif

The Municipalities are political and administrative independent from one another. All of them have their own Mayor. The Mayor of Lisbon runs the city of Lisbon (above all civil parishes' reduced powers), not the district of Lisbon.

Nobody runs political the district. They're more like historical, almost obsolete, geographical regions.

The region of Belem is part of the city of Lisbon since late XIX century, for your information.

I think tourists are being completly deluded.

Edited: 9:50 am, September 15, 2013
4 replies to this topic
Zlin, Czech Republic
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Note: Belem is only a civil parish of the city of Lisbon

I dont know what exactly are you refering to (if TA recognizes Belem somehow as a part of Lisboa or generally as a city), I dont know this page much, but what I know, I am just now sitting in a building that is constructed in a city called Belem, in Brazil (tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g303404-Belem_State_…). Could be this answer to the confusion ... ?

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
47,513 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Note: Belem is only a civil parish of the city of Lisbon

Most tourists would think that Belem Portugal) is part of Lisbon city rather than Lisbon District.

TA has a lot of such anomalies which they do correct if enough people ask. For example there was a pointless South East of England forum until recently.

TA also has Faro District and the Algarve as separate fora when they are one and the same area.

Edited: 9:13 am, November 13, 2013
Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
156 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Note: Belem is only a civil parish of the city of Lisbon

Not Belém, in Brazil.

I wrote that because i learned that most tourists think (almost everywhere i've read online, not only here within TA), and much for my own surprise, that the Portuguese Belém is or a different town or a city close to Lisbon, or a suburb, or a place located in the outskirts of Lisbon.

I'm afraid that tourists think Lisbon is only Bairro Alto-Downtown-Castle, Parque das Nações and Park Edward VII.

So i try to explain that Belém is only one of Lisbon's 24 civil parishes (=freguesias), and the area has the same powers within the city's Assembly than any other parish.

The city of Lisbon is the "union", if you like, of those parishes.

So Belém is part of Lisbon for more than 120 years.

When you visit the Monuments there you're still in Lisbon. I think it was important to write that for the better understanding of the true size of the city.

It's like saying Manhattan is not part of New York City.

Costa Adeje, Spain
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Note: Belem is only a civil parish of the city of Lisbon

This is quite frequent in TA.

Reply to: Note: Belem is only a civil parish of the city of Lisbon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Belem