We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pastel de nata (pastel de Belem)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
pastel de nata (pastel de Belem)

I understand that these custard tarts are very popular (especially from Casa Pasteis de Belem) and wonder if someone can help me with a description of the custard's texture.

Is it dense and eggy?

Or more soft (like that of a lemon curd tart).

Thanks!

Albufeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
3,240 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: pastel de nata (pastel de Belem)

It is like a milk tart, soft, light and absolutely delicious. If you get them warm, they are simply heavenly and will melt in your mouth.

The pastel da nata (or pasteis da nata in plural) originates in Belem but you will find them in every coffee shop or snack bar in Portugal. It is a Portuguese addiction frequently washed down with a bica (Algarve) or cafe (Lisbon), the best espressos I have had anywhere in the world.

There are a few places that make them with very thick doughy pastry which is heavy and nasty so look out for a thin light pastry. most of them are like that.

The Portuguese also sprinkle a little cinnamon on top and every place has a cinnamon shaker.

You can tell I'm an addict!!

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
11,622 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: pastel de nata (pastel de Belem)

Hi Myrtle,

The previous post gives a good description. The best pastries are served warm with thin light pastry with a light custard filling. Like the previous post, I am addicted as well, tried quite a few of these beautiful pastries during my trip to Lisbon last year, for research purposes of course!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: pastel de nata (pastel de Belem)

mm.. they sound delicious!

Thanks to you both for your posts. I also read in my guidebook that they're best warm and topped with cinnamon. I'll be sure to remember the golden rule:

thick pastry >> nasty

thin pastry >> delicious

I can't wait to try one - or three!

4. Re: pastel de nata (pastel de Belem)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:24 pm, October 23, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Belem
More Belem Topics