We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

River swimming and relaxation in Gois. Portugal

SicilyI
6 posts
Save Topic
River swimming and relaxation in Gois. Portugal

Hi all,

Anybody been to Gois? Hoping to travel there with two teenage boys for a week. Is there enough happening to keep them occupied.? The river swimming looks good and I thought we might rent bikes.

Any ideas as to public transport from Coimbra to Gois.

Any information or tops on the town would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance

Siobhan

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
20,999 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: River swimming and relaxation in Gois. Portugal

At the municipality website I've found out this about public transports (under "como chegar") www.cm-gois.pt/files/682.pdf; this for accomodation www.cm-gois.pt/content/index.php?action=detailfo&rec=111&t=Alojamento; this for what to do (under "o que fazer") www.cm-gois.pt/files/683.pdf. Hope that it helps.

SicilyI
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: River swimming and relaxation in Gois. Portugal

Many thanks, will check it out today. Have you been to Gois and what was it like?

Did you find the river swimming good?

A bit worried that it might be full of touristy in August or else that it is so isolated that there is nothing to keep the lads occupied?

Would love to hear your ideas

Best wishes,

Siobhan

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
20,999 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: River swimming and relaxation in Gois. Portugal

Sorry never been there for swimming, I doubt that you'll find there much tourists, a lot of portuguese from the region yes. There is the possibility of doing activities related to nature there, but you have to contact the companies, I've done a thematic day with Transserrano (unfortunatly the site is only in portuguese), they usually have a monthly schedule of activities.

In August you'll have the local annual festivities. There are a number of tipical small villages around (schist villages), but I don't know how to go there without a car.

SicilyI
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: River swimming and relaxation in Gois. Portugal

Thanks very much for that. Actually, the fact that the holidaymakers are mostly Portugese for us is an asset as we would like to experience a more authentic version of Portugal.

Maybe on bikes we will see the Schist villages, and enjoy the local culture in the evenings.

Thanks for all your help

Siobhan

Chichester, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: River swimming and relaxation in Gois. Portugal

We rented a house in the region last year and are doing the same this year.

The year beach in Gois is great . In fact there are 2 beaches connected by a wooden walk way.

You can rent canoes and go up the river( you need to pull them up the dams) it was great. We had a teanager and a 12 year old and they both want to go back. The region is worth exploring. There are lots of other nice beaches but I don't want to give to much publicty. ask when you get there.

The only thing we missed were restaurants to eat in the evening. Not much choice.

There arent many tuirsts. I am Portuguese with an English family.

6. Re: River swimming and relaxation in Gois. Portugal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 am, October 05, 2012