We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leitao

London, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Leitao

My wife and I will be visitng Coimbra next month, driving from Porto on the IC2.

One of the things we love about Portugal is stopping at a restaurante on a road and trying our luck with the "prato do dia", which means we always get good value, great taste and restaurants full of locals.

However, going to Coimbra means we pass through Bairrada, and we have to try to local leitao.

Any sugestions for a good priced, local favourite restaurant between Mealhada and Coimbra (or slightly beyond) on or not too far from the IC2?

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
827 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leitao

in Mealhada itself, u don't have to go out far from IC2 to find places serving leitão. i don't remember the name of the place we went to, it just happened that it was the only one still serving lunch at 1600, but it turned out just perfect --- it was certainly one of my best lunches ever, and from then leitão has figured in my must list. i don't think u will go wrong in any of these places in mealhada...in any case, they have a steep reputation to keep!

seeing how u prefer good value, locals-type of places to eat, here's an unsolicited advice --- when in coimbra, try this cafe/restaurant on the side somewhere near the big entrance to the univ (with the wide steps) serving very good steak for student-friendly prices.their steak with coffee sauce and the pepper-covered one are highly recommended. pity i don't remember the name either, but if u are anywhere in the area at past 8 in the evening u won't miss it --- it's one of only very few which are open at this hour and their "esplanada" can be pretty full (at least in this area, which surprisingly for me in a univ town, was really really quiet...i'm sure the students just hang out somewhere a non-local like me wouldn't likely stumble into...)

New Jersey
Level Contributor
667 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leitao

The most well known and traveled are "Meta dos Leitões" e "Pedro dos Leitões" in Mealhada.

The local favorite in that area is Casa Vidal which is actually in Aguada de Cima (Águeda). You will enjoy almost any resturant you choose but I grew up in that area and think Casa Vidal is worth the trip.

lifecooler.com/Portugal/…RestauranteCasaVidal

London, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leitao

Thanks for the tips.

I think I'm going to try Casa Vidal. Supplying the Queen of England is a great advert for a place.

Thanks to both of you

dvvfm3

4. Re: Leitao

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, September 20, 2009