We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heaven on Earth

Which Angra do Heroismo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Terceira, Portugal
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Heaven on Earth

Hi everyone,

I have lived on the island of Terceira, Azores for over 14 years.

I live in a rural town just a few km from the city of Angra.I am familiar with all nine islands and speak fluent Portuguese. I 've travelled a great deal around the world and I must say this is a little piece of heaven. Each island has its own individual charm and even some customs differ from island to island; the people are friendly, warm and hospitable. If your looking for a relaxed, laid back vacation with great natural beauty unspoiled by heavy tourism and the most wonderful food you've ever had anywhere...Then the Azores is the place to visit. If you're looking for big time nightlife and lots of excitment you may as well look elsewhere. Terceira is probably the most festive of all nin islands. The popular feasts start on the first of May and run through the 15th of October so there's always something to do but no spectacular stage shows or anything of that kind.

It's well worth the little extra on airfare, although we have on average mild temperatures and a sub tropical climate keep in mind we are called "ilhas de Bruma" - Misty Islands, so from late October to mid June we do get quite a bit of rain. Should anyone need any orientation on organizing their visit to this archipilago you can email me at portugles@yahoo.com. I'm not in any way in the travel business but I do love these islands.

california
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Heaven on Earth

Thanks 5frys!

I appreciate the information on flights and sites to see.

California, USA
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Heaven on Earth

Hello, I very much enjoyed your message on Terciera. My mother and I are traveling to Azores hopefully in May and I wondered if there are any hostels on the Islands. I cannot find any info about BandB's either. Possibly you may know of something. Or maybe we should come with a tour company. Mom is 72 and I do not want to take too many chances with not being able to procure reasonable lodging. Sincerely, Jeanie

Texas
1 post
Save Reply
13. Re: Heaven on Earth

I am set to arrive on Terceira April 4, 2007. I will be visiting friends who have been there for 2 years. We plan to do some fishing and visit other islands. My question, is there anything I could bring my hosts that is not available in the Azores? I am traveling from Texas thru Boston then SATA . I would really like to find something special to bring my gracious hosts. Thank you, and I can't wait to see and experience your islands. BGR

Terceira, Portugal
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Heaven on Earth

Hi

You may try to email to Hotel do Caracol. They have a spa and original ways of business. Ask for Dr Paulo.

Kielce
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Heaven on Earth

We'll (4 person) spend our holidays on Azores between 12-26.06.09. We were on Madeira 2 years ago and in Lisbon in 2002. We loved Portugal people, places, cuisine and climate and fiestas and fado music. I've read about Azores during flight from Funchal in onboard magazine. We'll spend few days on Sao Miguel, Flores, Faial (with trip to Pico) and Terceira in the end. If you can help us with organize our stay I'll be really grateful.

I hate typical tourist tours. I'd like to spend time with nature and people, who live there. My e-mail: borek.agnieszka@gmail.com

Regards

Agnieszka Borek.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
234 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Heaven on Earth

Well you've certainly come to the right place. The posts in these forums are chock-full of information and suggestions. The Azores Forum will also include the more focused forums that speak directly about São Miguel and Terçiera and the other islands so just look though the topics and you'll find a great deal of information. Check out photos and other contributions too as they will also be very helpful.

I live in Ponta Delgada so São Miguel is what I know best, but the people of the Azores are welcoming and friendly and eager to make travelers feel at home here. On São Miguel I would suggest staying in Ponta Delgada and using it as a base of operation, either renting a car or using carros de praça [taxis] or jeep tours to explore the island. The furthest point on the island from the city is a day trip away.

17. Re: Heaven on Earth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:23 am, November 03, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Angra do Heroismo