We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stopover in Ponta delgada

London, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Stopover in Ponta delgada

My mom and I are traveling to Sao Jorge and our connecting flight is going to leave us in Ponta Delgada for 7 hours. Can someone suggest something for us to do for that time or what there is nearby that we can visit in that amount of time. Also is there a place at the airport to leave our luggage?

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
22,976 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stopover in Ponta delgada

"The airport offers you a storage area should you wish to leave your bags. It is located in the public area in arrivals. Opening hours: from 6:00 to 24:00; Fee per piece and per day 3.07€ (VAT included) "

Negociate a "tour2 with a taxi driver that are outside the airport, here are some ideas http://www.azoreantours.com/pt/

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
680 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stopover in Ponta delgada

The organized tour might be a good idea if you happen to get a good driver who is up for doing that. I would just get dropped in the center of town and walk around. You could easily spend several hours walking the streets of Ponta Delgada and also down by the water. Then just take the taxi back to the airport which is a quick drive (we walked!).

Concord, New...
Level Contributor
47 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stopover in Ponta delgada

The Lagarta trolley is a great way to see the city. Jeep tours can be done for a half day, too!

Sao Miguel, Portugal
Level Contributor
231 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stopover in Ponta delgada

Good Day!

If your stay over is around 7 hours, why not see some of the natural beauties of the Island!

This way you get something of São Miguel, ocupy your time here, get to know a bit of 1 more Island in the Azores, and use your stayover!

During that time you can see Sete Cidades Crater Lakes (Blue and Green Lake and 1 of Portugal´s 7 Wonders), or Fire Crater Lake (Natural Protected Area), or both the main things in those Crater Lakes or just see Furnas Crater Lake (hot springs área).

If not, you can go to the city of Ponta Delgada and fill up the time until your flight to Sao Jorge, and explore what the city has to offer, but in my opinion the main atractions that Toursits look for is out of the city!

Bye! I wish you a nice vacation!

Gary Travassos

Mentioned in this post
Azores
Azores
Portugal
Sao Miguel, Azores.
Level Contributor
133 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stopover in Ponta delgada

Being a Canadian myself, it is always a great pleasure to be able to help out another fellow Canadian. I am so glad that you chose me to solve your problem with the extra hours you will have at the airport. I look forward to supplying the pick up and tour for the day. I know we will have a great day! Many thanks. Lisa.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stopover in Ponta delgada

Hello I was just reading the forums on Ponta Delgada Airport, so glad I came upon yours!!

My son and his gf are travelling to Santa Maria, arriving in Azores Airport on August 14th with an 11 hour lay over (return flight on Sept 4 is 8 hrs). They are arriving from Toronto, where we live.

Can you arrange for a tour while they are there? They are 23 & 27 years old.

Really looking forward to chatting with you regarding this !

Appreciate your time

Yvonne

Mentioned in this post
Santa Maria
Santa Maria
Ilha do Sal, Cape Verde
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
12,674 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stopover in Ponta delgada

Hi Yvonne,

Welcome to the Azores forum!

Gary’s tours and prices are available on his website http://www.azoreantours.com/. You will see his e-mail address as well.

Lisa does not have a website but if you contact her by e-mail ring7lisa@hotmail.com she will provide you will all of the necessary information.

Gary & Lisa are excellent guides, I am sure you will have a fantastic time.

May be interested in my trip report, may give you some ideas :-

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189134-i1760-k4…

Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Azores
Azores
Portugal
Sao Miguel, Azores.
Level Contributor
133 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stopover in Ponta delgada

I can do the same for your son and girlfriend as I did for Grace from London Ontario. ( my own children are about the same age, so I'll know what they want). I actually lived in both London and Oakville! Please let me know if I can help you out. I will be happy to outline the day for you and then you can decide. There are two tours that would be very easy to do the day of your arrival and also once you return. Spending that much time at the airport really is a waste of time when there are so many beautiful sites to see outside the walls of the airport!

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stopover in Ponta delgada

Thanks to everyone for your comments and options, I'm happy to say I found a wonderful tour guide and my family is all set.

10. Re: Stopover in Ponta delgada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 19, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Ponta Delgada