We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long-Term Apartment Or Small House Rental

Which Ponta Delgada hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, Alabama
2 posts
Save Topic
Long-Term Apartment Or Small House Rental

I am a single American gentleman in my 70s and am eager to begin an extended stay in The Azores. I'm uncertain just where to begin in getting needed info, but hope someone can help. Here are my questions:

1. The approximate cost and availability of long-term rental of a furnished apartment or small house.

2. I speak only English - would this be a major problem?

3. Availability and cost of basic medical care.

4. Generally speaking, what is the cost of groceries.

5. Immigration issues - how long would I be allowed to stay?

6. Any advice or suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Birmingham, Alabama
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Long-Term Apartment Or Small House Rental

The safest and most reliable thing to do would be to plan on spending a week or so in a hotel and do a lot of looking.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
17,320 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long-Term Apartment Or Small House Rental

And do you want to stay only in one island or do you want to visit several islands? This may have an impact on your rental plans, how long would you stay on each.

In São Miguel a friend and its family stayed on this apartment for a week and they loved it http://www.azoresapartments.com/novo-apt.php, try to Email him at eleuteriovalido@hotmail.com and see if he does long term rentals.

How long you can stay it's better to check with the site of the Embassy or consulate for Portugal in your country, mostly they have visa information. But as general rule "The maximum length of stay in Europe for non European Union passport holders is determined by the Schengen accord and is currently limited to 90 days within any 180 day period. The important thing to note is that you may not leave the Schengen Visa area for a day and return to restart the 90 day clock."

Medical care - we have a national health service which is mostly free for residents, you have to contact your insurance company to extend its coverage to your stay in the Açores, because you'll have to pay for everything. Usually a private consultation for a basic medical examination will be around 50-70€. I have no idea about how much any kind of lab test, X-ray, etc will cost. If you have a medical emergency you'll have medical care at the hospital, but when leaving they will present you the bill.

3. Re: Long-Term Apartment Or Small House Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:05 pm, December 19, 2012
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
613 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long-Term Apartment Or Small House Rental

We stayed in a great house in Mosteiros this past May. The owner is Marie at casasdoporto@gmail.com. She understands and writes English. The house is a duplex right across the street from the ocean. We LOVED it. The neighbors two houses down are from New Jersey, US, and are very helpful. The house has a kitchen, living room, bedroom, and bathroom downstairs and one bedroom upstairs. There is a big back yard with gated driveway and a front porch with lawn furniture. We sat in the front for hours watching the waves and the SURFERS! We were so surprised to see surfers. There is a bus stop in town right across from the church. The bus is simple to take to get into Ponte Delgada. There are two grocery stores a couple of blocks from the house. It is a great place to stay. It is sad, but we only speak English also. We had no difficulty getting around- but I had checked out things like the bus before I got there. We did rent a car for part of our week stay so we could visit other parts of the island. My husband loved driving all the twisty roads. Email Marie, I am sure she would help you.

USA
Level Contributor
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Long-Term Apartment Or Small House Rental

The Island of Terceira is a very welcoming Island. Also there is an American Air force on the Island which may make things a bit easier for you

The cost of housing can run anywhere from 200 euros per month for a simple room to 5,000 per month for a bigger house

Check Rental by owner VRBO

The price of food is similar to the US

Ponta Delgada...
Level Contributor
3 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long-Term Apartment Or Small House Rental

Hi,

these kind of values are quite figurative and will vary depending on your life style and on more detailed factors.

Accommodation. If you plan to stay more than 6 months than you should consider a normal short term lettings. If you are interested in more info I drop me and PM. Otherwise touristic rentals are a good option.

Medical cost, I do not have to much to add than 64novpt already did.

General cost, on a private letting as mentioned above and bases on home cooking 7 days I would look at 150eur monthly grocessies, On top of that utility bills can round 50eur monthly

brooksville ,fl
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Long-Term Apartment Or Small House Rental

I'm inquiring about it too much staying in St Michael is yours next year 2014 I'm a single person I'm a deacon in the Catholic Church I'll be doing some ministry in the church and I don't require a big place 1 bedroom sufficient for me record studioI'm thinking of coming between Junein July2014 what would be the price for something like that more or less I do speak Portuguese I was born in. Fenais ds luz 67

years ago my portugese is pretty goodstill.

brooksville ,fl
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Long-Term Apartment Or Small House Rental

I'm inquiring about it too much staying in St Michael is yours next year 2014 I'm a single person I'm a deacon in the Catholic Church I'll be doing some ministry in the church and I don't require a big place 1 bedroom sufficient for me record studioI'm thinking of coming between Junein July2014 what would be the price for something like that more or less I do speak Portuguese I was born in. Fenais ds luz 67

brooksville ,fl
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Long-Term Apartment Or Small House Rental

Sao Miguel, Azores.
Level Contributor
127 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Long-Term Apartment Or Small House Rental

I just recently rented a house for someone for 3 months. I know of several places in Sao Miguel depending on where you would like to stay. If I can help you with this since I live in Sao Miguel, please contact me by e-mail. My address is ring7lisa@hotmail.com. I hope I can help you or at least give you some ideas on a more personal basis outside of the forum. Lisa

Get answers to your questions about Ponta Delgada