We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prices for eating out in Sao Miguel?

Hampshire, England
Level Contributor
45 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Prices for eating out in Sao Miguel?

My partner and I are visiting Sao Miguel for the first time at the end of September, staying in Ponta Delgada on a bed and breakfast basis. I was wondering what sort of amounts we should budget for eating out each evening, i.e what is the average cost of a meal for two, with house wine, in an average sort of restaurant? Any advice would be gratefully received.

Mentioned in this post
Sao Miguel
Sao Miguel
Azores, Portugal
Ponta Delgada
Ponta Delgada
Sao Miguel, Portugal
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
12,763 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prices for eating out in Sao Miguel?

I found the cost on par with the UK, there was not a great deal of difference. Have a great trip!

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
23,338 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prices for eating out in Sao Miguel?

Don't expect it to be cheap...

Chorley, Lancashire
Level Contributor
345 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prices for eating out in Sao Miguel?

I found it to be considerably cheaper than the UK.

We ate out 3 times 55eur, 45eur and 41eur respectively.

On all occasions we had 3 courses, a bottle of water and 2 drinks each (beer or wine)

There were cheaper options (and more expensive too) but we went for mid to high end.

Lunches came out at about 10-15eur for 2 people (soup and a sandwich and soft drink)

Sao Miguel, Azores.
Level Contributor
133 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prices for eating out in Sao Miguel?

The portions are often very large over here, so for some meals you can share a meal and still be sufficient. Many of the restaurants automatically send appetizers like cheese and bread first, you will pay for it, so if you don't want it, just send it back. Find the local family run restaurants, they are often more reasonable and often better.

Hampshire, England
Level Contributor
45 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prices for eating out in Sao Miguel?

Many thanks for the advice, everyone. I will post some reviews when I return.

Ponta Delgada
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Prices for eating out in Sao Miguel?

There are small restaurants in the town centre with good prices. It's not expensive.

For lunch many restaurants have what they call "prato do dia", which is an economic meal and you can have it for 6 or 7 euros per person. Depends on the restaurant. If you want I can recommend some restaurants. Just send me a message.

Enjoy your visit to our beautiful island

Povoacao, Portugal
Level Contributor
44 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prices for eating out in Sao Miguel?

Hello,

Eating in Ponta Delgada is not very expensive if you eat in small cafeterias or the dish of day around 6-7 €... At the new marina and some restaurantes in town it will be a few euros more...You may expect a bill between 30€ and 50 € with a bottle of wine :-)

Outside of Ponta Delgada, we are at Quinta Atlantis in Povoação, there we can have a lunch for 2 - dish of day for 13€!

Have a nice holidays! S. Miguel is a beautiful island!

Mentioned in this post
Ponta Delgada
Ponta Delgada
Sao Miguel, Portugal
Toronto, ONT
Level Contributor
770 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Prices for eating out in Sao Miguel?

Prices are very reasonable. We paid around 30-35 for dinner for 2 with inexpensive wine (both in the PDL marina & town). Portions are quite large. Mains are 10 to 15, salads - 2-4, wine 8 to 15, beer 2 to 3 per pint. All in euro.

Milford, New...
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Prices for eating out in Sao Miguel?

i am interested in some restaurant recommendation in Ponta Del Garda and franco campo that has good food and reasonable prices.

Any help would be appreciated

dw

Level Contributor
1,811 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Prices for eating out in Sao Miguel?

'i am interested in some restaurant recommendation in Ponta Del Garda and franco campo that has good food and reasonable prices. "

In Ponta Delgada, you might like to try the Adega Regional or the Adega Nacional. Both are nice and reasonable. There are many little restaurants around town and they are all pretty good. I also like Bom Appetit. Good seafood and grilled meats. Be mindful of the couvert which are the small plates of appetizers that they put on your table. You may think they are free but they are not. Just ask how much they are and you decide if you want them or not. The server will kindly take them away if you decline. Bread is not free either but so good as well as many of the couvert. Most will only be a euro to two euro. Some may cost more but they are good. I cant recommend anything specific for Vila Franca but all I can say is just look around and you are for sure to find something nice and not too expensive.

Where are you staying in Ponta Delgada?

Mentioned in this post
Ponta Delgada
Ponta Delgada
Sao Miguel, Portugal
Adega Regional
Adega Regional
217 Reviews
Sao Miguel, Portugal