We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rentals on Sao Miguel and Terceira

Which Ponta Delgada hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Frances, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Car rentals on Sao Miguel and Terceira

We plan on renting a car while on Sao Miguel and Terceira. Who is the best company to deal with? Also, what other means of transportation or tour companies are good to do tours.

Thanks

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
11,026 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rentals on Sao Miguel and Terceira

The largest car rental on Sao Miguel is Ilha Verde, seems to have good reviews. Lots of people hire a taxi & driver for the day. If you need further information, let me know. Have a good stay!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rentals on Sao Miguel and Terceira

I found this site for city tours. www.lagarta.net.

Never tried but am going to, soon.

Waterloo, Ontario
Level Contributor
4 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rentals on Sao Miguel and Terceira

We recently returned from 11 days on Sao Miguel. We rented a car for the last 2 days but the rest of the time we booked tours with Lisa Ringelberg (ring7lisa@hotmail.com) and took public buses. Lisa is Canadian and has been living in Ponta Delgada for the past 15 years. She got us from point A to point B and showed us sights along the way. She even met us at the airport and gave us lots of helpful information.

Milton, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rentals on Sao Miguel and Terceira

So far, based on my research, indicates economycarrentals.com

Zaragoza, Spain
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rentals on Sao Miguel and Terceira

Beware the hidden cost of cheap car rentals as 'Ilha Verde'. On my recent experience they explode legal conditions (probably because the crisis) and use whatever excuse to increase the rental cost when you return the car (and you don't have time to react). I fill the fuel tank in the city and return the car at 6am (less than 7 km driving) , and then the 'Ilha verde' charged me a unreasonable extra because they say the tank is not full. They know that we don't have time to complain, and also they don't have worldwide offices to do further complains.

Then again, when you use this car rental precalculate a very possible overcost and compare the cost with a known worldwide company.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
360 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rentals on Sao Miguel and Terceira

I would consider hiring a local taxi and driver to go out on day trips, especially if you are staying in a central location like Ponta Delgada for the duration of your trip. The benefit of this approach is that you not only arrange transportation with someone who knows the local driving conditions, but he also acts as a personal tour guide.

I recently visited Sao Miguel with my elderly parents (80 and 78 years old) as well as my 15 year old son. We had decided that we would use the local taxis to take us where we wanted to go as my parents are originally from Sao Miguel and this was a traditional method of sightseeing in the past. On our first day in Ponta Delgada, we went to the main square and enquired about a taxi driver that could also speak English well. I wanted someone that could converse with my son in English, as well as my parents in Portuguese. We were extremely lucky to find the most amazing driver, Jose Raposo. I would highly recommend using his services if you have any concerns about the local driving conditions, or if you want to be able to sit back and enjoy the sights yourself, instead of having to focus on your driving. He charged an hourly rate and was willing to go out for as short or long a trip as we were interested in. The first day we used his services for six hours and were so impressed that we contacted him again the next day and went on to use his services for six out of the ten days that we were there!

Jose's English is excellent and he was extremely knowledgeable about the local history, geography, etc. He stopped at many amazing lookouts and was able to explain in detail what we were seeing which added tremendously to our experience. Because we were paying him an hourly rate, we were able to spend as much time as we liked in any one spot. At no time however, did we feel that he was trying to extend the time with us for his own gain. My parents and I split the cost of the trips and it worked out extremely well for us.

My 15 year old son was in heaven sitting in the front passenger seat of a Mercedes looking at the amazing sights, and I was able to enjoy everything myself from the back seat without having to stress over the driving conditons, reading maps, etc. We had such a positive experience that all three generations felt we were taking leave of a close friend by the time he dropped us off at the airport for our trip home. If we have the good fortune to return to Sao Miguel we will definitely look him up again and we encourage you to consider doing so as well.

His phone number is 962408327 and his name is Jose Raposo operating from Ponta Delgada. Please note that when using the local public phones to call his mobile phone, I had to use 50 cents to call his number, not 10 cents as indicated on the phone.

We hope you have as wonderful a time as we did regardless of your decision.

Bermuda
Level Contributor
3 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rentals on Sao Miguel and Terceira

Great answer on taxis. How much does it cost to hire for a full day? By the hour?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
360 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rentals on Sao Miguel and Terceira

We were quoted 18 euros per hour. We usually went out for 6-7 hours and found that it was really worth it. My son and I were travelling with my parents and I split the cost with them. If we had decided to go on an organized tour, the four of us would have paid more than that, and we would not have had the flexibility and personal attention that we got. I did not compare this to the cost of renting a car because I knew that, although the main roads are pretty easy to drive on, once you get into the small towns navigating the tight spaces can be pretty stressful. Also I don't think we would have rented a brand new Mercedes which made our experience that much better for my 15 year old son!

If you do not want to use the taxi driver's services (experience and knowledge while sightseeing) you can also arrange for the driver to take you to a town or region of your choosing and have them pick you up a few hours later at an arranged spot while you explore on your own in between. In this case they would charge you a flat rate based on your destination. Obviously that driver may not be able to wait around all day for you so you can always take a taxi to a location and then take a completely different taxi back to your start-off point (hotel, etc) I do not have any prices that I can share with you, but my understanding is that there are pretty standard rates for different locations. I would confirm with the driver before you set off.

Have fun!

Fort Frances, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rentals on Sao Miguel and Terceira

Thank you for suggesting Economy Car Rentals. I have just checked them out and found them to be cheaper than Ilha Verde and am in the process of changing to them.

Fort Frances, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rentals on Sao Miguel and Terceira

Thank you for your comments regarding Ilha Verde Car Rental Company. I had booked with them but am now going with Economy Car Rentals who are cheaper and as far as I am concerned more professional. I'm not sure4 how Ilha Verde works other than giving a Confirmation No. but with Economy I will be e-mailed a Voucher to present when picking up the car. They are also cheaper.