We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming with dolphins in the Azores

LONDON
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Swimming with dolphins in the Azores

Any tips about best island/holiday firm to undertake this with? Have two teenage daughters and this would be a "once-in-a lifetime" experience for them. Any other tips welcome. Am looking to go in August 2010.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming with dolphins in the Azores

No one else has responded so I will throw in what little I know. From previous visits to the Azores I know that all the sea-life activities are fairly strictly controlled with only licensed boats and controls on how close they can approach the animals so I am not sure how easy it is to arrange to swim with the dolphins. Sao Miguel and Faial have the most boats but there are operators on most islands.

However, I do recall there were a few posts either earlier this year or last year asking about this topic so if you do a search on the Azores forum you should be able to back track this and find some better information. Sorry I can't be more definitive.

Mentioned in this post
Sao Miguel
Sao Miguel
Azores, Portugal
Azores
Azores
Portugal
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
234 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming with dolphins in the Azores

I've never heard of any boating groups offering swimming with dolphins - You have to remember that the islands are volcanic in structure known to be the tallest mountains on the planet if measured from the sea floor and so there is little or no shelf and so few shallow areas for swimming which is why there is a great use of natural and man-made grottos and swimming pools. Santa Maria is the only island with some reef due to its geological history - it submerged and reemerged at one point. One of the sudo-myths about the islands is that you can see dolphins and whales from the shore - postcards show dolphins frolicking within view of the city of Ponta Delgada - these are sadly photoshopped - I was only on Sao Miguel but spent a great deal of time sitting by the water and never saw dolphins or whales. Not sure about the other islands but from what I have read here it is difficult to spot these creatures from land.

As to what to do with young children? There is a small "zoo" in Povoação, mainly birds and small animals and a larger "zoo" around Nordeste that has a little more diversity some elk, deer and ostriches along with farm animals. The botanical gardens in Furnas [Jardim Terra Nostra] with the natural heated swimming pool is quite nice and can be fun as is the whole village of Furnas with it’s calderas and hot springs. In August they will be selling corn on the cob that is cooked in the calderas making it quite tender and delicious. Hope these suggestions help you plan your visit.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Maria
Santa Maria
Ilha do Sal, Cape Verde
Sao Miguel
Sao Miguel
Azores, Portugal
Nordeste
Nordeste
Sao Miguel, Portugal
Azores
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming with dolphins in the Azores

Hi

It is possible to swim with dolphins, you can contact the company Futurismo or Picos de Ventura, they both located in Ponta Delgada.

BUT, this is done in open sea, it means that your children have to feel comfortable with is and of course good swimmers, for sure it will be done something like 3 or more km from the cost, so they even cannot see the bottom because it will be very deep.

They use diving suites so it will be easy to float and almost impossible to drawn but if they never been in open Atlantic Ocean, it will be a experience with full of adrenaline.

Wish you good luck and a lot of fun.

AzoresBlueWater

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming with dolphins in the Azores

The previous post is correct that you can swim with the dolphins in Sao Miguel. Here is the link to their information: www.azoreswhales.com/swiming_dolphin.html

Mentioned in this post
Sao Miguel
Sao Miguel
Azores, Portugal
LONDON
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming with dolphins in the Azores

Thanks for recent contributions - will keep reseraching!

6. Re: Swimming with dolphins in the Azores

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:23 am, February 18, 2013
West Midlands...
Level Contributor
120 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swimming with dolphins in the Azores

I've just returned from Faial in the Azores where I went whale and dolphin watching - a fabulous experience organised by a local company called Hortacetaceos. I met a Danish lady who had tried swimming with dolphins in San Miguel and been very disappointed. The first trip didn't find any and the second there were so many epople that by the time she got in the water the dolphins had obviously got fed up and/or frightened and they swam away. So, be aware that there are absolutely no guarantees which your daughters need to understand. As per previous posts they also need to feel confident about swimming in the open sea (which can be quite rough - it is, after all, the Atlantic!)

Mentioned in this post
Azores
Azores
Portugal
8. Re: Swimming with dolphins in the Azores

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, February 10, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Ponta Delgada