We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solar da Graça

US
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Solar da Graça

Has anyone been to a dinner at Solar da Graça? I'm planning a couple big dinners (100+ people) and want to get some feedback on the best places to eat with a group this big. Most of the folks who are coming to these dinners have never been to the Azores before, so I thought a tipico place would be good. Thoughts?

Also, any suggestions for other places would be appreciated since I'll likely have to schedule more than one group dinner.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
234 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solar da Graça

Have never had the pleasure of enjoying the evening at Solar da Graca but I have heard great things about it. People who've had events there rave about it of course I'm not sure how of that was due to the event itself or the venue. Other than there I would guess that hotels cater to large groups, they seem to have the largest dining rooms in the city - I would suggest looking into Hotel do Colego and Hotel Talisman. The new Portas do Mar cruiseship dock has a dining terrace where they feature dishes by students at the culinary school, that might be something worth looking into - both Portas do Mar and the culinary school. Hope that's helpful.

Roberto

US
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solar da Graça

Thanks for writing -- it's nice to hear that the place has good buzz. I'm going to visit in May before the big group event, so I'll definitely try it then.

I'd love to host folks at Hotel do Colegio but they can't take a group this big. I had tried Hotel Talisman and wasn't impressed, but perhaps I'll give it another try.

I'll most definitely try the place that features the student cooking. Do you know that name of the actual restaurant or place I'd call to inquire about options?

Thanks again for your feedback!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
234 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solar da Graça

Wow I'm surprised that Hotel do Colegio can't accomodate 100 people at the Colmeia - they have several venues now - a cafe and a grill down on the new port. Oh well. Yes I agree with you on Talisman - the Palm Terrace has great food but the redesign has left what used to be a great old hotel feel cold and stripped of its charm - still the food is great there. The restaurant that features foods prepared by students at the School of Tourism and Hotels is part of the new "Portas do Mar" complex that was added to the city to deal with the cruise ships that dock here. Here's a site that seems to have all the info ...

efth.com.pt/Destaques/…Default.aspx

Hope this helps

Sao Miguel, Azores.
Level Contributor
132 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solar da Graça

You might try Batalha golf course. The food is good. They often host weddings there so could accommodate the numbers.

5. Re: Solar da Graça

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:24 am, October 15, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Ponta Delgada