We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wi-Fi in Flores

New Jersey
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Wi-Fi in Flores

Hello,

I'll be travelling to Flores in a few weeks for three weeks, on a writing vacation, and would like to know what is the wi-fi situation in Flores, if any. Most of the providers show wireless service there, but I'm wondering if it's very reliable? Also, what are the best restaurants? And what about cell phone useage? My carrier here in the US can add an international package to my current package, but I'm wondering if it will really work? I can't even get service in my backyard some days! Again, the maps show that there is service in Flores. I know I should leave my technology home, but with four kids I am leaving behind for this amount of time, I'm having a hard time unhooking.

Also, I don't know any portugese, is that problem?

Thank you in advance.

World of
8 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Wi-Fi in Flores

I'm from Azores, but never been in Flores Island. I think wireless service could be a problem, but probably they have high speed internet by cable (once again, i'm not sure).

The cell phone coverage in Flores is good. At least in the main village (Santa Cruz) i know that's good.

You don't need to speak portuguese. You'll find some people who speaks english.

And those who can't speak very well, are friendly enought to make an effort to establish communication.

Here some phrases and words:

Bom dia - Good morning

Boa tarde - Good afternoon

Boa noite - Good evening or good night

Pode dar-me uma ajuda? - Can you help me?

Onde é...? - Where is...?

Obrigado - Thank you

Muito obrigado - Thank you very much

New Jersey
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wi-Fi in Flores

Muito obrigado! I really appreciate your reply.

The Azores sound beautiful and I am really looking forward to my trip. I'm sure no matter what, I will have a lovely time and it seems like such a blessing to be going.

Peace.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wi-Fi in Flores

Cant answer your IT queries but as for restaurants it is a bit limited but on my last visit to Flores two years ago I found most were ok but it is a small place.

If I remember correctly there's three or four restaurants in Santa Cruz from local cafe syle through to standard restaurants and a pizza shop. I quite liked the Baleia, hidden behind workshop units near the old whaling factory and was told that there is a good restaurant over in Faja Grande but did not eat there.

My portugese is limited to good morning and ordering beer and I get on fine so you will be ok. Lots of folk speak an amount of English.

It's fantastic place, have a good time.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wi-Fi in Flores

Thank you so much for your Restaurant advice.

I'm wondering, do you know where I could get local walking maps of the island?

And I'm going to be there for three weeks, is a car necessary the entire time? I was thinking of renting one the last part of my journey so that I do more walking/hiking than driving.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wi-Fi in Flores

My main holiday pastime is walking and landscape and I know getting good maps is often difficult. The guide that I have used is the Azores car tours and walks by Sunflower publishing, who do great walking guides to many obscure places., go to http://www.sunflowerbooks.co.uk/azores.htm. There are route instructions and maps covering the main walks on the island (plus others in the Azores).

It may be a small island but it is very rugged so getting around just by walking would be hard. I stayed for a week and did not hire a car (more for cost than any other reason, about 45 to 50 euro per day). There are plenty of taxis just a phone call away but it may depend on where you are staying. Are you in Santa Cruz or ?

it's quiet was I was there in August but given that you are going at the end of September I suspect you will probably soon be on first name terms with the rest of the visitors!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wi-Fi in Flores

Muito obrigado!

The website is exactly what I was looking for....

I am going to be staying in Lages..I have an idea where it is, but not sure there's too much around it. It has a little beach....and a little town to buy groceries, etc.

It sounds like the rental car situation might be a little too expensive for me for three weeks, so maybe I will just rent it on the weekends. I haven't been able to find many places on rental car companies there.

Again, thank you for your kind help. It is most appreciated.

7. Re: Wi-Fi in Flores

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 am, September 09, 2009