We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental in Sao Jorge

Milan
Level Contributor
568 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Car rental in Sao Jorge

Any advice on best car rental deals or companies in Sao Jorge?

It appears that neither Ilha Verde nor Autoatlantis hire directly in Sao Jorge. Best to book in advance or upon arrival on the island?

Thanks

Nibbius

Lagoa da Faja de Santo Cristo
Geologic Formations, Bodies of Water
Piscina Natural da Faja do Ouvidor
Geologic Formations, Bodies of Water
Discover Experience
Hiking Trails, Kayaking & Canoeing, Bike Tours, Climbing Tours, Canyoning & Rappelling Tours
Aventour - Azores Adventures
Sightseeing Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Bike Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Canyoning & Rappelling Tours
9 replies to this topic
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
19,428 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental in Sao Jorge

I didn't rent a car when I was there last year, but what i can see is that at least SIXT rent a car has a partner there.

I think it's better to book in advance if the number of rentals are not that many. Some years ago i didn't book it for Stª Maria and i couldn't find an available car on site.

Milan
Level Contributor
568 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental in Sao Jorge

I can't find any SIXT rent a car partner in Sao Jorge looking at the SIXT website. Could You provide more information about?

Thanks

Nibbius

Azores
Level Contributor
91 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental in Sao Jorge

in the site below you can find what you need.

visitazores.com/en/…sao-jorge

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental in Sao Jorge

You can contact AutoTuristica Sao Jorge. Contacts below:

AutoTuristica São Jorge

Rua Machado Pires

9800-526 VELAS (S.Jorge/Açores)

Tel: +351 295 430 159 ou +351 295 432 421

Fax: + 351 295 430 129

E-mail: rent-a-car@velasauto.com

Tartu, Estonia
Level Contributor
106 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental in Sao Jorge

I rented a car from Ilha Verde for 2 days. Booking was made through rentalcars.com. Pick up from airport and drop off at Velas. They have office at the center of town. No extra insurances sold and no deposit booked on credit card. All worked well and was very relaxed. Like the whole island.

Edited: 5:51 am, May 03, 2017
Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
316 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental in Sao Jorge

Ilha Verde has a counter at the SJX airport terminal. They are usually the busiest, and may run out of cars, so it's best to reserve in advance if you go with Ilha Verde.

If you want a car on arrival, there will be other local car rental companies holding up signs as you walk out of the arrivals door.

Tartu, Estonia
Level Contributor
106 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental in Sao Jorge

It probably depends on flight and season. I came from Terceira and was only one who had booked a car from Ilha Verde. There were 2 more people who went to next car rental counter (can't remember the name) and that's all. Anyway it's definitely worth to book a car in advance for Sao Jorge. It's not so popular island among tourists like some others. So I'm pretty sure that you could miss your car or have to wait until someone brings some more from Velas if there are some 10 people arriving without bookings with same flight.

Ericeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental in Sao Jorge

Hi all

I have a related question, we would like to hire a car in São Jorge and then using the ferries, visit Pico and Faial too. Would we be able to pick up a car in one island and drop it off at another, are there companies that offer this service?

Thanks!

Tartu, Estonia
Level Contributor
106 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental in Sao Jorge

It's usually not allowed. You should ask directly from rental companies. Try Ilha Verde and Autatlantis.

If you really find a company who allows it then it's still probably cheaper to rent a separate car on every island than to pay for extra fees as they have to get the car back to Sao Jorge after rental.

Reply to: Car rental in Sao Jorge
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted