We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning our first Overseas Experience

Auckland Region...
3 posts
Save Topic
Planning our first Overseas Experience

my husband of 30 years and I would like to visit our daughter who is currently living and working in London.The only time we can do this is late Dec 2011 to end of Jan 2012.This will be the 1st time either of us have been any further than Ozzie!!

other than time with our 'baby',I would love to go to the birthplace of my Great great grandfather...Flores.(also take in a bit of portugal)

We are fit and healthy,adore walking ,biking,watersports...Water..full stop,actually.

Over the past 15 or so years we have been homestay parents to folk from all over the world,so although we look forward to lovley hotels,it would be great to stay,with the locals in a homestay type situation.(maybe even discover some ancestors).any advice would be much appreciated...thanks sooooooooo much.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
16,353 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning our first Overseas Experience

Hi, to go to Flores island you have to do an inter-island flight and in winter the weather can make your stay in the Açores area longer than expected. How long are you planning to do this?

Auckland Region...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning our first Overseas Experience

It may be closer to jan 2012.Do you mean that weather conditions make flights in and out..difficult? I think i would like to have 5 or 6 days,open to suggestions.

Thank you

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,353 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning our first Overseas Experience

Yes the weather can make in, in between and out flights difficult so don't plan your stay there at start or at the end of your stay in Europe.

Auckland Region...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning our first Overseas Experience

Another question..part of my interest in visiting The Azores..and Flores,is because I have an ancestor connection to ponta delgada ...In my search for info to help put together a travel plan,I keep coming across a ponta delgada in Sao Miguel...very confusing,are there two ponta delgada's,could someone enlighten me please.

Thanks so much

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,353 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning our first Overseas Experience

There are 9 islands in the Açores, one is S. Miguel (the biggest island) whose capital is Ponta Delgada, another is Flores whose capital is Santa Cruz. As far as I know if you search flights to Açores you'll get mainly Ponta Delgada or Terceira (another island whose capital is Angra do Heroísmo).

Porto
Level Contributor
565 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning our first Overseas Experience

Yes, there are another Ponta Delgada, in Flores Island

Porto
Level Contributor
565 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning our first Overseas Experience

Sorry, i didn't saw it had been already answered

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
234 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning our first Overseas Experience

yes - the Capitol of Sao Miguel is Ponta Delgada but there is also a town Ponta Delgada on the northern side of Flores. If you go to sapo mapas at http://mapas.sapo.pt/ you can find the islands and zoom in - it's a Portuguese google maps, basically.

You would fly into Sao Miguel and then take a flight out to Flores which is in the Western Group of the nine - the other is Corvo. Inter-island flights are frequent and easy to get. Weather conditions do affect the schedule from time to time but it's still a reliable way to travel between islands - I've actually never personally known anyone to have a problem but it does happen.

As to accommodations I would recommend Aldeia da Cuada - a small village that has been renovated for guests - you get your own little house - friends of mine stayed there and loved it - check it out at http://www.wonderfulland.com/cuada/

There are also two travel agencies you may want to contact - both are on Sao Miguel but they will probably have information about Flores - both will have some one who speaks English

Agencia De Viagens E Turismo Francisco Carlos

Silveira Martins sucessores. lda

R. Mq Pr Monforte 38 9500-089 Ponta Delgada

telephone 1-296282094

Agência de Viagens Melo

Rua Santa Luzia 7/11

9500-114 PONTA DELGADA

( Ponta Delgada (Matriz) )

http://melotravel.pai.pt/

Hope that all helps -

9. Re: Planning our first Overseas Experience

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, February 18, 2017