We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Critique 10 day itinerary please

Ontario
Level Contributor
50 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Critique 10 day itinerary please

Hi all,

I would really appreciate some feedback on the practicalities of my tentative schedule below. How long should is the ferry transfers between Faial and Terceria (via Sao Jorge?)

June 22 – (flight arrives at 8am) Sao Miguel

June 23 - Sao Miguel

June 24 - Sao Miguel

June 25 – flight at 8am Sao Miguel to Faial

June 26 – Pico day trip

June 27 – (early ferry) Faial-> Sao Jorge-> Terceira

June 28 – Terceira

June 29 – (ferry) Terceira -> Sao Jorge -> Faial

June 30 – Evening flight from Faial to Sao Miguel

July 1 - morning in Sao Miguel then flight home

Many thanks in advance!

Ching

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
18,238 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Critique 10 day itinerary please

June 27 you'll arrive to Terceira (Praia da Vitória) at 2pm; June 29 you don't have a ferry back to Faial. On June 28 you have the Transmaçor ferry (Linha Lilás) departing from Terceira (Angra do Heroísmo) at 4:10pm and arriving at Faial at 11pm; if you think that 24h in Terceira is enough you can still arrive to Faial on time to get back to S. Miguel. Personally I think that a day trip to S. Jorge will be less stressful.

On June 30 you have Atlanticoline ferry departing from Terceira (Praia da Vitória) at 2:30pm (will go via Graciosa and S. Jorge) arriving to Faial at 11.45pm. I think that you'll lose your flight back to S. Miguel with this one.

Ontario
Level Contributor
50 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Critique 10 day itinerary please

Hi 64novpt,

Thank you very much for your input. How about this alternative itinerary below to give myself more time in S. Jorge, is it more feasible? Are there frequent ferries between Faial/S. Jorge/Terceira so my plans for June 25/26 will work out? Many thanks in advance!!

June 22- 8am arrival at Sao Miguel - half day tour of Ponta Delgata - Flight to Horta at 4pm (I hope this works out logistically!)

June 23 – Faial

June 24 – daytrip to Pico

June 25 – early ferry Faial to Sao Jorge

June 26 – ferry Sao Jorge to Terceira

June 27 – Terceira

June 28 – evening flight from Terceira to Sao Miguel

June 29 – Sao Miguel

June 30 – Sao Miguel

July 1 – afternoon flight home from Sao Miguel

Thanks!

Ching

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
4,086 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Critique 10 day itinerary please

"Are there frequent ferries between Faial/S. Jorge/Terceira so my plans for June 25/26 will work out?"

The ferries serving the three islands of Faial, Pico and Sao Jorge are new, comfortable, clean and relatively fast. There are fairly frequent crossing between Faial and Pico, but only two ferries daily in each direction serve Sao Jorge.

Faial or Pico to Sao Jorge: there are two ferries daily (Transmacor), morning and evening. If leaving from Horta, the morning ferry is at 7 a.m. It makes a stop at Sao Roque, Pico and leaves Pico for Velas, Sao Jorge at 8:30 a.m., arriving at Sao Jorge at 9:20 a.m..

Sao Jorge to Terceira: There is only one ferry on June 26. It leaves at 10:00 a.m.

NOTE: You will not be able to spend a great amount of time on Sao Jorge (just the late morning, afternoon and evening of June 25). Depending upon what you want to see or do there, it might be enough. You won't really have any time to do much sightseeing on Sao Jorge June 26, as the ferry to Terceira leaves at 10:00 a.m. Trip takes 4 hours.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,238 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Critique 10 day itinerary please

Jun 22 - leave the luggage at the airport (3,8€/day/item), take the bus shuttle (5€) to Ponta Delgada, have a coffee, walk around, have a nice lunch and relax.

Jun 24 - stay overnight at Pico, enjoy the island without the stress of having to get a ferry back to Faial.

Jun 25 - take the ferry at S. Roque (Pico) at 8:10am to S. Jorge

Jun 26 - take the Ferry at S. Jorge (Velas) at 9:40am to Angra do Heroismo (Terceira) arrive at 1:50pm

Ontario
Level Contributor
50 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Critique 10 day itinerary please

Thank you so much 64novpt and tylerarb!

I've decided not to make a connecting flight on June 22nd as it's the same day as arrival. 64novpt, I like your idea of staying overnight in Pico and taking a ferry to S. Jorge instead of going back to Faial. My new itinerary is below with everything shifted a day so I can be in Terceira for the closing of Sanjoaninas. Does this give at least a day for S. Jorge? Please suggest alternate schedule for June 25-27! Many thanks once again!

June 22- morning arrival in Sao Miguel

June 23 – Sao Miguel w 5pm flight to Faial

June 24 – Faial

June 25 – Pico overnight

June 26 – ferry Pico to Sao Jorge

June 27 – ferry Sao Jorge to Terceira

June 28 – Terceira

June 29 – Terceira 1pm flight to Sao Miguel

June 30 – Sao Miguel

July 1 – morning in Sao Miguel then flight home

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,238 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Critique 10 day itinerary please

If your goal in going to Terceira are the Sanjoaninas, then it's best to go first to Terceira and then to the other islands and in that case I would cut S. Jorge.

June 22- morning arrival in Sao Miguel

June 23 – Sao Miguel flight to Terceira

June 24 – Terceira

June 25 – Terceira

June 26 – ferry to Pico overnight

June 27 – Pico

June 28 – early ferry to Faial

June 29 – Faial flight to Sao Miguel

June 30 – Sao Miguel

July 1 – morning in Sao Miguel then flight home

Ontario
Level Contributor
50 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Critique 10 day itinerary please

Thank you 64novpt! Much appreciated!

Ching

8. Re: Critique 10 day itinerary please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 05, 2015