We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To go or not to go?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
To go or not to go?

Hello there

The Azores is a possible destination for a holiday for later this month (my in-laws are going on holiday and we may decide to meet up with them) I'm ashamed to say I don't know much about the country and information doesn't come easy! It sounds like an idylic location and I wonder if you have all just managed to keep it quiet to keep the tourists away?!

Any information on what sort to expect would be really appreciated.

Thank you

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
487 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: To go or not to go?

To persephone:

It is Gorreana. I use to go there from time to time. The owner is a very pleasant gentleman and I'm sure he will serve you a tea, either black or green, at the tiny balcony inside the factory (they have no tea room and it is not a sofisticated place) and show you the plant.

Actually there is now another plantation (whow.. two in Europe!), quite near (over Porto Formoso), just a few Km before Gorreana (if you come to Furnas from Ponta Delgada by Ribeira Grande). It has been abondoned for years, but was recovered 2 or 3 years ago and is already making a very good tea.

To Nae-a-loon:

Pls try to read some of my old answers on the Azores forum, I think I gave already some good tips to people that are interested on the same things you are. But let me know if you need anything else and I'll try to help.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: To go or not to go?

Thank you all very much for your replies. Esquilo we both posted at same time so I missed your very useful one last time. I have printed off the information you have all given me - thanks again.; we are looking forward to our visit.

Get answers to your questions about Azores