We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apartments in Praia da Rocha

Which Portimao hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
England
2 posts
Save Topic
Apartments in Praia da Rocha

Can anyone recommend a nice centrally located apartment for 3 elderly people. Needs to be on/near beachfront so not any hill walking and close to all amenities. Many thanks.

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
661 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Apartments in Praia da Rocha

I cannot recommend anywhere in Rocha but we stay in Praia do Vau we are by no means spring chickens and my husband has quite severe arthritis .We stay at either the Jardim do Vau which you can book online through Algarve Select or Coral do Vau through Style it depends which has special offers on! Both are right on the beach there is a small supermarket and a few good restaurants there is a bus from outside Coral do Vau that will take you into Rocha and Portimao also the jardim has a courtesy bus.The taxis are also quite cheap .We like it so much we go twice a year and are thinking of going 3 times next year

Alvor, Portugal
Level Contributor
126 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Apartments in Praia da Rocha

I don't know what your plans are but Praia da Rocha is known to be the Nightlife place in that area, so not much of peace in the evenings sure not if you like to be beachfront because that's the main nightlifestreet too . Maybe if you go into a highrise appartment, you could be safe for the noise.

Why not consider Alvor ! Best beach and still close enough to Praia da Rocha and only 7km from Portimão.

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
661 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Apartments in Praia da Rocha

Sorry to contradict about Alvor but if you have walking difficulties alvor is not the best place as it is hilly and quite a hike to the beach unless you stay at the hotels on the beach and then it is a hike to the village !

Alvor, Portugal
Level Contributor
126 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Apartments in Praia da Rocha

Yes indeed, forgot about that. Then maybe you people will better be of in Praia da Vau

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Apartments in Praia da Rocha

I would go with Jardim do Vau or Coral do Vau as previously mentioned. I visit here often, and these are the best two places. However, Coral has a much livelier night life than Jardim, but they are next door to each other. If you stay at Jardim and have mobility problems ask to be in the buiding with the lift. Praia da Rocha is very noisy, basically a party centre for young people. The beach there is accessed by a long set of concrete steps. However, the main 'strip' is level and no hills there. the hills are behind the place. Alvor is very hilly and the cobbled streets make walking a bit of a nightmare. I have seen elderly people trip and fall there several times

Whitby
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Apartments in Praia da Rocha

Hi there. I see u have posted about Salema. We have never been to Portugal and are planning a trip April 1 2007. I keep reading about Salema and am thinking our 1st stop should be there for 3 -4 days. I like the idea of less tourists, even though I am one myself haha. I ahve read reviews about a place called A Mare. Have u heard of it. Any suggestions?? We will then go to lLisbon, then OPorto, Sintra. What do you think? Thanks

Whitby
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Apartments in Praia da Rocha

By the way we are from Whitby, Ontario...

England
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Apartments in Praia da Rocha

Thank you so much to everyone who has replied to my posting. We are trying to please 3 generations on our quest. Ages ranging from 81 to 5. Have stayed at Praia da Rocha previously but would ideally like to be more central for elderly members.

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Apartments in Praia da Rocha

This to TDCanada..I assume you are asking me, since you are posted under my post. I don't have much knowledge of Salema really. I go there for lumch to the Cafe Atlantico once in awhile. There is accomodation there, but I have to say, it's quite a tiny place, quite crammed together as it is a fishing village in a valley by the sea. But it is not as unspoiled as it was, and I think you will find it 'touristy' now.

You mentioned Lisbon, Sintra and Oporto (The Portuguese call it Porto). Are you driving. This is quite a drive I think. Come back to me at trptld@yahoo.com if you want to. I can explain better one-to-one.

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
661 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Apartments in Praia da Rocha

Just seen your post of the 1/11 when you say you are catering for an age range 81 to 5 .Can i just say we are going in February to Praia do Vau ,there will be 7 adults and 2 children with an age range of 2 to 84 ,we find it perfect for all ages.Except perhaps teenagers of which we have none!