We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Lisbon train station to get to Algarve?

Cleveland, Ohio
1 post
Save Topic
Which Lisbon train station to get to Algarve?

I fly into Lisbon in late February, on a Saturday morning, and have a first-class train ticket to Portimao, although my final destination is the Pestana Viking Hotel on Praia da Rocha, Porches.

From the airport, which train station do I go to? Barriere, or Oriente?

Some travel books and Web sites say to go to Barriere and board a train marked "Faro," stating that all travel to the Algarve is from Barriere station.

However, someone at the hotel told me to go to the Oriente station and take a train marked "Portimao," then take a taxi from Portimao to the hotel. How far is that?

If there's a choice, which is better?

Also, I'm told I'll change trains. Where?

Thanks for any help.

London
Level Contributor
328 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Lisbon train station to get to Algarve?

Hello there tallguy45

From the Airport go to Gare do Oriente train station.

The train will actually be heading to FARO.

The train is very comfortable – specially first class!

Before Faro you’ll change train at a station called Tunes.

{Actually you just get off the train and get on the train next to it – on the adjacent platform - it’s very easy and convenient!}

In the eventuality that there are no taxis at the train station in Portimão – has happened to me when I arrived late- you can give Taxi Arade a call from the train station (tel. +351 282 460 610; they are the main taxi company in Portimão). Even when late at night they’ll get to you in 5 or 10 mins max.

Note: there is Praia da Rocha, Portimão and Praia Senhora da Rocha, Porches.

Your hotel is actually near the latter which is a bit further distance compared to Praia da Rocha.

However, not to worry as distances between places in the Algarve are short. {not like America!}

Get the taxi from Portimão and you’ll be fine.

Enjoy your holiday in the Algarve!

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
51,493 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Lisbon train station to get to Algarve?

Yes, many travel books and websites are sadly out of date as it is some years since the trains stopped using Barreiro station, which is actually on the other side of the river from Lisbon city.

The train crosses the river out of Lisbon on a spectacular and high bridge so have your camera ready!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
65 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Lisbon train station to get to Algarve?

Hi tallguy45, your information is correct. Take the train to Portimao. To be on the safe side just get a taxi from the airport and tell the driver that you want the train station where the trains go to Portimao, Algarve, they will know which station to take you to. Enjoy your time there.

4. Re: Which Lisbon train station to get to Algarve?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 pm, September 17, 2009