We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Praia da Luz / Visiting in January

London
5 posts
Save Topic
Praia da Luz / Visiting in January

Hi everyone,

I'll be visiting Praia da Luz for a few days next weekend.

Its my first time there and I'm just wondering if you guys can recommend stuff to do.

Perhaps if I tell you a bit about what I like, that'll be a good start, I'll try not to bore you!

I love great food and drink served by happy local hospitable people.

I love local and traditional music and general cultural stuff.

I'd love to do some fishing as I've never done it, and it seems like it might be a great place to do it.

If I'd like a drink in the evening, I imagine it will be pretty quiet this time of the year, but will there be anywhere remotely busy?

Are there any local produce food markets?

Also, I'll have a car so is there anywhere I should venture out to?

Sorry to bombard you all with questions. Its my first time visiting, so any info will genuinely be a great help.

Warm regards,

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
772 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Praia da Luz / Visiting in January

Hi,

Whilst Praia da Luz is likely to be quiet at this time,you'll still find plenty of places for great food.It's a couple of years since I've been there, but A Forteleza (down the hill from the church) was a great place to eat.If you travel into Lagos,you will be spoilt for choice -try O Galeao and Dom Sebastao.

There is a cultural centre in Lagos,just round the corner from the Police station-you should be able to find out here what's on.If you like jazz,Stevie Ray's Jazz & Blues bar has live music on Saturdays-it's just up the road alongside the Old Slave Market.

The bars in Luz are likely to be quiet and,even in Lagos,only the bars frequented by the locals are likely to be busy - perhaps Amuras on the marina and Acores bar opposite Stevie Ray's should have some local customers.

For game fishing,here again you'll need to go to Lagos where they sell fishing trips from the marina and,finally, there is a large fish and food market on the main waterfront road (the Avenida) in Lagos,near to the taxi rank;speaking of taxis,they enforce the drink-driving laws in Portugal, so you'll need taxis if you're going into Lagos for a drink-should cost in the region of €10 depending on the time of night for Lagos-Luz.

Hope this is some help to you;have a great time.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
28 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Praia da Luz / Visiting in January

Just wanted to add that the Fortaleza really isn't great these days in terms of the quality of food. It's a lovely setting, and now has a little outdoor bar area, but the food isn't great any more.

The recommendations of Dom Sebastiao and O Galeo (apologies for appalling spelling!) are both really good choices.

If you'd like a drink and won't be driving, then perhaps try the pub in Luz called the Duke of Holland. It's run by English people, and is fairly english in character, but it's one of the places which is likely to have some people in it! If you're driving, venture to Lagos, Luz really will be quiet this time of year.

I'd recommend a day trip into the mountains if you don't mind driving around. Monchique is lovely.

Have a great trip!

London
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Praia da Luz / Visiting in January

Thank you both very much for sharing that with me.

Its a bit of a shame if the Fortaleza isnt what it used to be, food wise, that place was high on my list!

I'll be sure to check it out thugh, as well as O Galeao and Dom Sebastao - thanks for those suggestions.

The cultural centre sounds like a good tip, I'll just pray that anything and everything to do with culture hasn't gone in to hibernation for the winter time!

The trip to the mountains really sounds like my thing - great suggestion!

Is there a tourist bureau in Lagos? I really need to get me a map!

Thank you both for your input. If anyone has anything else to add, I am all ears.

Thank you

Nottingham
Level Contributor
28 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Praia da Luz / Visiting in January

There is a tourist bureau... somewhere! I can't remember where it is... sorry. You can pick up maps all over though, so you shouldn't have any trouble on that front.

It is definitely a shame about the Fortaleza, because it's a beautiful building in a great location. However, they do sometimes have local music (Fado) performances there, so perhaps it's worth braving the food (it's not bad, just not outstanding exactly) if you want to see that?

I would also recommend a drive from Praia da Luz to Burgau and on to Salema. You drive up out of Luz on the hill (away from Lagos) go through to Burgau on local roads, and then drive through the village onto a dusty track, which will take you right along the coast. It can be a bit hairy at times, but it only takes about twenty minutes and you get to see a great bit of the coast.

London
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Praia da Luz / Visiting in January

>It can be a bit hairy at times, but it only takes about twenty minutes and you get to see a great bit of the coast.

Now we're talking, I love a bit of an adventure!

Im there for a little while so I'm definitely looking to maybe venture out in the car so thanks for that tip, I'm a sucker for beautiful views aswell.

Thanks again.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
772 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Praia da Luz / Visiting in January

If you walk down the Rua 25 Abril (i.e. away from the Slave market) you will pass Dom Sebastao on your left.About 40 yards after the restaurant, the street splits into two and the tourist information office is right there in the middle;they normally have posters from the cultural centre in the window.

If you have time to travel around try to see Sagres and Cap St, Vincent,the most westerly point of Europe-the coastal scenery is breathtaking especially if it happens to be a stormy day.From there drive North if you have the time into the Alentejo where you'll find some glorious deserted beaches at this time of the year.Enjoy !!

London
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Praia da Luz / Visiting in January

Thanks for that, I'll definitely venture out, you've convinced me.

It sounds incredible.

Keep your fingers crossed for a little storm for when I go visit!

Wow, this is really whetting my appetite...

London, United...
Level Contributor
981 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Praia da Luz / Visiting in January

You can download and view a number of very useful maps of the region here :-

http://www.freemaps.net/en/download.shtml

Of particular interest to you may be the one for Luz here :-

www.freemaps.net/en/downloads/lagosluz.pdf

The maps also have a great deal of information regarding restaurants , shops etc.

9. Re: Praia da Luz / Visiting in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 am, August 27, 2009