We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lagos: honeymoon Solar de Mas & getting to Seville

Vancouver
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Lagos: honeymoon Solar de Mas & getting to Seville

Hi. I am currently planning our honeymoon, which will start April 27th in Lisbon-4 nights, (bus) to Lagos 4 nights, ? to Seville 4 nights, Cordoba 2 nights, Grenada 4 nights, fly to Barcelona 5 nights. (I am so excited!). Now, for the Lagos part and my querries:

We are planning to stay at the Solar de Mas, and I am concerned that it is a little far from town/beach if we don't have a rental car.

Also, we are planning to leave Lagos for Seville on a Saturday...and to my great dismay I have come to the conclusion that there are no buses to do this on the weekends in May. So, we have decided to try to rent a car in Lagos (perhaps when we first arrive?) and drive to Huelva, from which we will take the train to Seville. Why the convoluded trip? Well, I hear the drive is beautiful and will take about 3 hours to Huelva. We won't take the car right to Seville cause apparently it is nasty around there.

I have heard that you can rent a car at Avis in Lagos and drop off in Huelva, but after calling them today, they say that I have to call the office in Lagos to get a rate and book. Anyone have any opions on our plans? (travel from Lagos to Seville; accomodation). Also any suggestions for nice restaurants, activities would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Emily

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lagos: honeymoon Solar de Mas & getting to Seville

I have driven the route Lagos to Seville a few times. I will agree with your comment about driving in and around Seville. It is not easy to drive into Seville, as like most of these cities, the streets are not well marked as they are here in Canada. I am not sure if I would classify the trip from Lagos to Huelva as 'beautiful'. Perhaps I have done it enough times to become jaded. Rather than consider the bus for travel, I might suggest the train as a good alternative. In Algarve, the train travels through many areas of unspoiled beauty as there are no roads or cars near by the train route. Regarding Solar de Mas, if you can give me it's location I may be able to comment on whether a car is needed or not. I would point out that although the Algarve is crisscrossed by very adequate bus routes and service, it is geared more to locals going to work and school than it is for tourists to sightsee on it.. Most tourists rent cars if they are able to drive at all. Driving in Algarve is no more challenging than driving in Canada. If you want to see Algarve, then you really do need a car.

Malveira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos, Mafra
Level Contributor
4,997 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lagos: honeymoon Solar de Mas & getting to Seville

Hi Emily,

Sounds Great!

However, logistically will be difficult because of Portugal/Spain Car Hire drop offs.

Can I suggest however a change to you itinerary that might help, provided you are flying in and out of Lisbon:

Leg 1 - Lisbon to Seville by bus (DAMAS)

Leg 2 - Seville to Cordoba by bus

Leg 3 - Cordoba to Granada by bus

Leg 4 - Granada to Barcelona by bus or plane

Leg 5 - Barcelona to Faro (Algarve) by plane (New service 4 days a week by Ryanair starting March 2nd 2007 ) Pick up a hire car in Faro to do Lagos etc.

Leg 6 - Lagos - Lisbon (Renex Bus/Train to Gare de Oriente and then Taxi to Lisbon Airport )

If you are not experienced in Mediterranean you will not enjoy driving into either Seville nor Huelva. The run from Lagos to Seville via the motorway is not that picturesque. However, if you feeling brave you can go inland via Ayamonte - VillaBranca and cut across country to Sevilla (but much longer)

For more info on transport links in Portugal, I would recommend the following site

www.solpraiaferias.com/index.php…

As regards Granada I was there two weeks ago. Wonderful! In addition to the Alhambra, there are several other churches and museums to see. Ditto Seville with the Alcazar Palace.

If budget is not a problem, in Granada, I would recommend the following small 5 star hotel where I stayed:

Carmen de la Alcubilla del Caracol

web-site: www.alcubilladelcaracol.com/index_en.htm

email: info@alcubilladelcaracol.com

The owner/manager is Sr. Manuel who is also a professor of art history and what he doesn't know about the local history and culture is not worth knowing. If you contact him, you can say you were referred by Sr. Chris from Lagos, Algarve, Portugal.

Hope this helps. If I can be of further help please let me know

Barlaventoexpert

Lancashire
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Lagos: honeymoon Solar de Mas & getting to Seville

I have stayed at this Hotel and it is very nice, although quite a walk from the historic town of Lagos. It is a bit out of the way and you really need a car to get about. A restaurant called No Patio is one of the best restaurants in Lagos and you really need to book a table in advance - because it gets very busy.

4. Re: Lagos: honeymoon Solar de Mas & getting to Seville

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:21 pm, August 25, 2009