We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gps needed

Hamilton, Canada
11 posts
Save Topic
gps needed

how do I rent a gps in faro my car rental place does not have them

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,196 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: gps needed

How long will you need it for? I haven't heard of rental places. It's probably cheaper to buy one. Staples near the airport sells them (Garmin Nuvi 30 Iberia) for Euro 89.90.

Edited: 4:08 pm, January 12, 2014
Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,196 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: gps needed

P.S.: I think that if you have a smartphone, you can have a GPS application on it.

Lymm, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
285 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: gps needed

Don't use your smartphone as the costs will be expensive. Look for a second hand tom tom or similar which has Western European maps on. Eg via eBay or similar.

Lymm, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
285 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: gps needed

Don't use your smartphone as the costs will be expensive. Look for a second hand tom tom or similar which has Western European maps on. Eg via eBay or similar.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
95,888 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: gps needed

Many of the smartphone apps download the maps to the phone and then use the phone's GPS system to work out its position and give directions. Once the maps have been downloaded, there is no data use.

Malveira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos, Mafra
Level Contributor
5,335 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: gps needed

GPS??

Why do you need one in the Algarve or are you going into Spain or up North?

The Algarve is a small rectangle +- 180 km East to West and 40km North to South. If you go too far East, except on the A22 Motorway, one will drop into the River Guadiana! To the South and West, one will drive into the Atlantic.

Driving North can be a problem BUT when one starts going through villages where there are more pigs, sheep and men wearing cloth caps, one knows one is in the Alentejo region! :))))

Furthermore, be aware that many GPS maps for the area not always up to date! I have run into this a couple of times in having to go and find courier companies who use GPS delivering to our house in Meia Praia, Lagos.

The region is well signposted, and with a good map, Mark I eyeball technology and asking the locals if needs be, one should have little difficulty in getting to one's destination.

Edited: 4:13 am, January 13, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Algarve
Algarve
Portugal
Spain
Spain
Europe
Guadiana
Guadiana
72 Reviews
Monte Gordo, Portugal
Alentejo
Alentejo
Portugal
Meia Praia
Meia Praia
1,768 Reviews
Lagos, Portugal
yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: gps needed

you dont need it.

Very simple driving around algarve,just get a map with your hire car .

Like I did when I was a kid and drove from Boston to Quebec, arrived shivering.

The fall

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,415 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: gps needed

I have manged to get from Lisbon to Lagos by way of the small roads. I bought a proper map between that and the signage... I don't have any need for a GPS. I have three weeks to wander the whole of the country. It is shaping up to be great fun.

Edited: 1:05 pm, February 15, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
Lisbon District, Portugal
Lagos
Lagos
Faro District, Portugal
9. Re: gps needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 17, 2015