We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Faro - Jumbo Supermarket

Scotland
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Faro - Jumbo Supermarket

I was given an email address for the Jumbo Supermarket near Faro in a previous post but have emailed twice and got no response. I am arriving on Tuesday 24th December at about 4pm and will need to get some shopping in - I am trying to find out what time they will close on Christmas Eve - if anyone knows or if you can provide me with a phone number I will call them.

Many thanks

MsMoS

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,174 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Faro - Jumbo Supermarket

You'll have a better chance for an answer if you email Forum Algarve, the mall.

They have an information desk and will speak English. They will know about the closing hour of Jumbo on the 24th. It will probably be around 7 pm.

http://www.forumalgarve.net/informations.html

Jumbo's telephone number: (351) 21 710 93 90

Malveira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos, Mafra
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Faro - Jumbo Supermarket

Highly unlikely that they will know just yet!

In Portugal, these sort of decisions are usually taken only 4 or 5 days before. From memory, last 24th December, supermarkets were closing circa 18:00.

I really do think that 16:00 is very late, in fact almost to late, to be planning to arrive at Faro and then going on to do shopping. (especially if you have still to clear immigration, get baggage and pick a hire car.) Faro Airport will more than likely be quite busy at that time..

If you do find out, can you post back here for the info of others!

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,174 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Faro - Jumbo Supermarket

There's an Algartalhos supermarket just 4 min. from the airport: http://goo.gl/maps/HYVTS

One way or another, I trust that with a 4 pm arrival you will be able to make it.

Malveira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos, Mafra
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Faro - Jumbo Supermarket

Good one, FTHW!

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,000 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Faro - Jumbo Supermarket

Most supermarkets here will be closing around 6 or 7pm at the latest on the 24th and of course will not be open on the 25th. And they don't officially tell anyone until a few days beforehand, but then of course everyone who lives here knows this already.

Algartalhos are a chain of small supermarkets and won't have the range of stuff that Jumbo has.

There is also the fairly new Pingo Doce store opposite Jumbo.

Malveira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos, Mafra
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Faro - Jumbo Supermarket

I sent an email last night via auchan.pt (the holding company for Jumbo) and, incredibly, this morning received the following response:

"Bom dia,

No seguimento do vosso contato, o qual agradecemos, informamos que os nossos horários para a época natalícia serão os seguintes :

. de 13 a 31 de Dezembro 2013 : das 09h00 ás 24h00

. Dia 24 de Dezembro 2013 : das 09h00 ás 18h00

. Dia 31 de Dezembro 2013 : das 09h00 ás 19h00

Com os nossos melhores cumprimentos.

Anália Santos

Responsável Apoio Cliente

Jumbo de Faro

Fórum Algarve - EN 125 Km 103

8009-126 Faro"

As I feared, Jumbo Faro will close on 24th December 2013 at 18:00 and 19:00 on 31st December 2013.

Given my previous comments, I do suggest you try to see if it is possible to arrive in Faro earlier on that day if possible.

Edited: 7:03 am, November 07, 2013
Leicestershire
Level Contributor
44 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Faro - Jumbo Supermarket

Not sure if this is of any use MsMoS http://apolonia.com/en/ they are based at Almancil which is about a 20 mins drive from the airport. Opening hours are at the bottom of the home page and they do an online shop which could be useful. You will find it more expensive than Jumbo and the other general supermarkets. Pingo Doce is a good all round supermarket for price and products in preference to Jumbo in my opinion

Edited: 4:29 pm, November 07, 2013
Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,174 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Faro - Jumbo Supermarket

I emailed Apolonia last night, they close at 6 pm. Option Algartalhos - 4 min. from the airport will be do-able and they sell all essentials.

Malveira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos, Mafra
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Faro - Jumbo Supermarket

I dropped into Algartalhos yesterday en route to Faro Airport.

The lass on the till indicated that they will be closing between 18:00 and 18:30 on 24th December. (Xmas Eve)

So one would need to get a move on to get there as well as hope that one's flight is not delayed.

10. Re: Faro - Jumbo Supermarket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 16, 2014