We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lagos to Lisbon drive. Lunch stop?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,614 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Lagos to Lisbon drive. Lunch stop?

Driving to Lisbon tomorrow from Lagos with kids. What would be the best route for us? I'm not concerned about tolls nor are we in a rush to get there. Would be nice to take a scenic route and have a good place to stop for lunch on the way.we have GPS but there are 3 routes I think?

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
47,579 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lagos to Lisbon drive. Lunch stop?

The route by the toll roads is extremely boring and there is nowhere to stop except a highway rest area.

The most scenic route by far would be the N268- N120 - N393 etc keeping close to the coast. There is a nice little town called Vila Nova de Milfontes on the coast, but it's only about a third of the way ton Lisbon.

Avoid the industrial and port town of Sines. I haven't been to it , but the town of Santiago de Cacém looks to be about half way and seems to have enough to warrant a stop.

https:/…A9m_Municipality

Malveira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos, Mafra
Level Contributor
4,997 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lagos to Lisbon drive. Lunch stop?

The route I usually use is as follows:

Lagos to Aljezur, Aljezur via Rogil, Maria Vinagre, Odeceixe, São Teotonio, São Luis, Cacem, Alfragide, Mimosa, and then up the old Lisbon road IP1 via Alcacer do Sal and Grandola to Marateca and then rejoin the A2 motorway into Lisbon.

Alternatively, Lagos to Aljezur, Aljezur via Rogil, Maria Vinagre, Odeceixe, São Teotonio,, Vila Nova Milfontes, Sines, Troia and then ferry across the Sado to Setubal. Motorway from Setubal into Lisbon.

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,172 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lagos to Lisbon drive. Lunch stop?

I suggest you stop in Vila Nova de Milfontes and have lunch in Restaurante “O Pescador”

Rua da Praça no 18. If you like fish, try 'arroz de tamboril'. It's Portuguese monkfish with rice and shrimp. If you're not looking for fish, you could check out the following page: jf-vnmilfontes.pt/Gastronomia/restauracao.pdf (sorry, I only know of O Pescador).

Edited: 12:28 pm, July 18, 2013
Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
360 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lagos to Lisbon drive. Lunch stop?

As cubsur says, avoid stopping off in Sines. Been there; never again!

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,172 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lagos to Lisbon drive. Lunch stop?

I would say it's more a matter of coming at the right time.

From July 18-27, festival FMM Sines "Festival Músicas do Mundo"

Each year,in July, the largest Portuguese event in the area of world music is held, the Festival Músicas do Mundo – the World Music Festival - in Sines, Alentejo region.

Organised by the local City Council, the event is designed for an audience of music discoverers, who come to Sines for the quality of the programme, the spectacular venues and a spirit regarded as unique among Portugal’s summer festivals.

One of the festival’s venues is Sines Castle, a setting and space that shows the great range and wealth of the world’s different cultural expressions, in what is considered to be one of the country’s most democratic cultural events.

The 15th edition of the festival will take place in July 18-27, 2013, offering 43 shows, the biggest lineup ever in the festival’s history, celebrating its 15th anniversary. From Hermeto Pascoal to Rokia Traoré, from Trilok Gurtu to Femi Kuti, the voices of the world are in Sines, southwest Portugal.

Find more information at:

- http://fmm.com.pt/en/

- https://www.facebook.com/fmmsines

Edited: 4:33 pm, July 18, 2013
6. Re: Lagos to Lisbon drive. Lunch stop?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 20, 2014