We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Way to travel from Faro Airport to Lagos ?

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
75 posts
337 reviews
Save Topic
Best Way to travel from Faro Airport to Lagos ?

Looking for ideas on how to get to Lagos from the airport, ideally without renting a car?

Mentioned in this post
Lagos
Lagos
Faro District, Portugal
Sagres
Level Contributor
297 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Best Way to travel from Faro Airport to Lagos ?

Not dirty, all bus are clean everyday.

If they are reliable, well i dont hear many problems of broken bus, but many of them for example have serious problems with air conditioning, or the seats are too hard.

I've looking around to show why i'm saying this:

mccannfiles.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuild…

You can see this bus, it's the worst they have around... notice all windows are open! Now think on that buses where there arent any windows to open like this eva-bus.com/novo/…transrapido_03.jpg

I'm not saying they are totally bad... im just trying to say that some investment in some points would bring more confort to the people that use them!!!

If i was managing this enterprise i would start by adding this transportes-xxi.net/albums/cat_269/eva_9814_… to make Lagos-Faro trips ;)

Mentioned in this post
Lagos Youth Hostel
Lagos Youth Hostel
43 Reviews
Lagos, Portugal
Peterborough...
Level Contributor
614 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Best Way to travel from Faro Airport to Lagos ?

We always take a taxi to station from airport. We enjoy the train ride, even if it is a bit slow!! Trains seem to be more frequent in the earlier part of the day (from memory), so best to check the link in cubsur's earlier post. Have fun!!

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
152 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Best Way to travel from Faro Airport to Lagos ?

There are a couple of people we now know in Lagos who are very reliable and come to the airport to collect you in a their car, drop you off at the door to wherever you are staying and will collect you for the return, approx. 60 - 65 euro each way. We find this the quickest, may not be cheapest, but I am sure cheaper than taxis and a lot less bother than buses and trains from Airport. I could send you their names and numbers if you require this

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
75 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Best Way to travel from Faro Airport to Lagos ?

Thanks to all for the help!

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
53,133 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Best Way to travel from Faro Airport to Lagos ?

I refer sometimes to bus service being poor as the buses are irregular and infrequent on many routes when compared to many places I have been. This is especially true at weekends. Even on a busy route eg Albufeira - Vilamoura there is a gap of over two hours during the afternoons with no buses at all. There are are only two Faro - Lagos journeys on Saturdays and Sundays, but the train is better anyway even though that has up to 3 hours between departures at some times of the day.

The buses used by EVA and Frota Azul are modern and comfortable, except for one or two old rattlers which declaim 'wagen hält' when you press the bell. Obviously second hand!

There was an initiative announced at the beginning of the year to try to get some kind of co-ordination and improvements to bus service in the Algarve, especially for visitors arriving at the airport, but I have heard nothing come out of it. The only recent big improvement I have recognised is that the local bus between Faro and the airport now runs from 5am to 11pm every day, all year, which I believe was mainly to benefit staff. It's very existence is a mystery to most tourists.

The timetables for buses between the towns have scarcely changed in the eight years I have been here. Most bus stops and even some bus stations have no information displayed at all as to when and where the buses go. State secrets? Even their official websites do not list all the buses, which is one reason I developed my site.

Local councils subsidise buses around the main cities and towns. The past year has seen 50% reduction in service in Portimão and Lagos because of financial problems (and of course many drivers were laid off) but luckily for us here in Albufeira the service level has been maintained but there is no published timetable, which doesn't exactly encourage visitors to use it.

Outside the towns, the services are not subsidised and there seems to be little enthusiasm to run buses on the main routes at regular intervals eg once every hour, rather than the seemingly random intervals they run at present. Other, minor, routes are mainly timed for schools and shopping.

But since most people prefer to drive here as they do anywhere, no one takes the bus or train because they want to.

Mentioned in this post
Albufeira
Albufeira
Faro District, Portugal
Vilamoura
Vilamoura
Quarteira, Portugal
Faro
Faro
Faro District, Portugal
Lagos
Lagos
Faro District, Portugal
Algarve
Algarve
Portugal
16. Re: Best Way to travel from Faro Airport to Lagos ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:35 pm, May 15, 2013
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
152 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Best Way to travel from Faro Airport to Lagos ?

We use 2 local people from Lagos who collect you and take you back very reliable, costs approx. 120 - 130 euro return, if you would like more info let me know

Warrenpoint
Level Contributor
496 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Best Way to travel from Faro Airport to Lagos ?

I must admit I like travelling by train - reminds me of my backpacking days! Is the train station handy enough to find when you arrive in Faro by bus from the airport?

Mentioned in this post
Faro
Faro
Faro District, Portugal
Peterborough...
Level Contributor
614 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Best Way to travel from Faro Airport to Lagos ?

You can walk from the bus station in faro to the train station. I am not good with directions and have no idea which way it is from there!! I know we walk past bus station on way to Faro centre to pass time / eat etc. Agree train travel brings back backpacking memories! Have fun!!

Mentioned in this post
Faro
Faro
Faro District, Portugal
Malveira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos, Mafra
Level Contributor
5,301 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Best Way to travel from Faro Airport to Lagos ?

There are actually more and better quality public transport links between Lagos and Lisbon than between Lagos and Faro. I therefore recommend those wishing to visit Lagos using public transport to consider flying into Lisbon.

Between bus companies renex.pt, rede-expressos.pt, eva-bus.com and rail, cp.pt, there are on average +- 18 services throughout the day and night between Lagos and Lisbon. It is true that the trip is longer, but in my opinion, one gets to see a bit of Portugal and more flexibility on schedules.

Mentioned in this post
Lagos
Lagos
Faro District, Portugal
Lisbon
Lisbon
Lisbon District, Portugal
Faro
Faro
Faro District, Portugal