We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Interrent Car Hire Scam - Faro

Liverpool
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Interrent Car Hire Scam - Faro

Watch out for a scam that I was victim to when renting a car through 'Interrent'.

At the desk of Interrent, I was offered insurance, I declined this because I had taken out my own insurance at the time of booking, they tried to scare me into taking it by quoting me examples of how much I'd have to pay should anything happen, but I was confident in the policy I already had in place.

When they handed over the car, they told me it was a new car and therefore I had no need to check it for dents or scratches.

The car was new - only 20km on the clock, but I did have a cursory check for damage - there was none I could see.

When I returned the car, the woman at the desk inspected the car and identified a small dent in the door, a dent so small, that even if I had of noticed it, I wouldn't of drawn attention to it - yet this person managed to walk straight up to the car and identify it.

It's obvious to me that this dent was already there.

I was charged 800 Euros, an amount I am now currently chasing from the company I took insurance with - a nightmare of back-and-forth correspondence I could do with out.

If you do find yourself at Interrent, and they provide you with a Skoda with the registration number 67 MZ 54, there's a tiny dent in the rear door on the drivers side - a dent so tiny, that a gnat would not need to break stride to traverse it if it was making it's way across the door of the car!! And I doubt they've spent my 800 Euros to fix it!

273 replies to this topic
Edinburgh...
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Interrent Car Hire Scam - Faro

I have just had a very similar experience with Interrent at Faro airport.

In my case, our Renault Megane Sportswagon (Reg 52-LR-21) was older with 48k miles on the clock and already had numerous marks and scratches. We played the game of finding and recording them all before driving off.

On our return, 7 days later, the Interrent guy spotted a tiny chip on the passenger side of the front windscreen. I am absolutely convinced that the chip was already there before and we just didn't spot it (amongst the plethora of existing dents) but this guy spotted it immediately, raising my suspicions that he knew in advance that it was there.

End result, an additional 390 Euros for me to pay (even though I suspect the scratch is reparable for about 50 Euros). I wouldn't be surprised if some other poor guy has the same car this week and they repeat the scam over and over.

I strongly suspect that Interrent knowlingly sends out cars that are damaged, hopes that the customer doesn't spot the damage during the initial inspection then cashes in when the car is returned.

It would be good to know if others have had a similar experience.

Gartringen, Germany
Level Contributor
2 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Interrent Car Hire Scam - Faro

I feel victim to another scam by Interrent... RENTER BEWARE of Interrent's FUEL return policy.

I had rented cars with them on one previous occasion and had found their service and price to be good (I had actually made the booking via AutoEurope.com). We didn't mind the 15 min wait in the airport, the short bus transfer off the airport complex, etc.

What I had especially liked was their willingness to change the rental agreement when I picked up the car which had stated that the car was to be returned empty and I would pay the price of a full tank of fuel at a set price/litre. This is obviously punitive towards the renter as you will always be returning the car with some amount of fuel in it (which may only be €10 - 20 worth, but is possibly/probably how they can lower their price vs their competitors).

So, I agreed with the man from Interrent that I would return the car FULL and not be charged the cost of a full tank.

This went fine on the first visit.

On the second visit the lady blatantly refused to accept the agreement I had made with her colleague (yes, I had NOT gotten anything in writing. So, yes, legally they had every right to shaft me with the cost... ) and charged me €96 for the full tank. Although I had just filled it completely at the airport petrol station.

The lady was rude, stubborn (walking away from me at one stage in the middle of a sentence), refused to get her manager ('she is not here'), etc.

But this post is not about her - it is simply to warn other renters about what I believe to be a scam by Interrent with their returns policy.

If you agree to return the car with a full tank - get it in writing.

OR, rent with another company which doesn't have such a sly returns policy and you will avoid any risk of having the horrid experience I did.

merseyside
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Interrent Car Hire Scam - Faro

never use a firm with full/empty policy local trustworthy firms like Luzcars give you your car with minimal amount of fuel and you put your own fuel in as neccesary no rip off fuel charges, they may come up as a little more expensive during searches, but dont forget there are no further charges from the price you see unlike the full/empty merchants who charge 100 euros plus on collection of car for fuel

4. Re: Interrent Car Hire Scam - Faro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:39 am, February 22, 2013

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Interrent Car Hire Scam - Faro

Unfortunately a lot of the suppliers in the Algarve now do the full to empty policy - especially Goldcar and Interrent. Customers still keep booking with them though, as the initial price is so cheap. People must read the terms and conditions of the fuel policy in Portugal and southern Spain as well.

The more people rent with these guys, the more they'll continue with this ridiculous policy.

Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,070 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Interrent Car Hire Scam - Faro

Unfortunately there seems to be an ongoing problem with car rentals. I suggest you write the press. Here are 3 contact details of English language newspapers:

The Portugal News:

editor@the-news.net

Algarve Daily News:

editor: info@algarvedailynews.com

Algarve Resident:

editor: ines.lopes@algarveresident.com

and

The Algarve Tourist Board

Sr. Desidério Silva - President

Email: gabinete.presidente@turismodoalgarve.pt

7. Re: Interrent Car Hire Scam - Faro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:49 pm, July 21, 2014

London, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Interrent Car Hire Scam - Faro

We also are having issues with Interrent Car Hire in Faro Portugal. We returned our car as the driver lock was not working. The key would not go into the lock. Interrent charged us 130.00 Euros for a damaged lock and said someone had tried to break into the car. There was no break in or damage to the car. We had nothing stolen from the car. They insisted it was damaged because of a break in and we had to pay the 130.00 Euros. We were charged 25.00 Euros plus tax for an employee to come in at 6am to shuttle us to Faro airport (2 minutes away) saying they did not normally open until 7am. We were charged 75.00 Euro for a full tank of gas on a Fiat Panda. We never paid anywhere near that amount for a fill at a gas station. We paid our bill in full before we left Faro. Here we are 4 days later and a new amount of 119.00 Euros has shown up on my Mastercard. We expected toll charges of 35.00 Euros. We have no idea what this 119.00 is for and I hope I can find out. I rented through www.economycarrentals.com so I will see what answers I can get from them.

Toronto, Canada
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Interrent Car Hire Scam - Faro

We also had the same problem with Interrent. An invisible door dent that only the eagle -eyed rep could see. but he knew exactly where to look the minute we arrived. I am an elderly driver and wonder whether they just pick on us

Toronto, Canada
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Interrent Car Hire Scam - Faro

we had the same experience. we were charged for so-called damage to the door which was not even visible unless you looked at it at a certain angle. The Interrent rep though knew exactly where to look and found it within seconds of us driving in. I am sure that this will not be repaired and some other sucker is going to get the same scam. The car rental agency that I used are asking for a Police report which I obviously didn't get because there was no accident and no visible damage. So I don't know if I will get reimbursed by them. I am classed as an elderly driver and wonder if they target us or is it any age

Reply to: Interrent Car Hire Scam - Faro
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted