We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International Car Hire - Faro Airport.

West Sussex
Level Contributor
211 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
International Car Hire - Faro Airport.

This is an advice to people to not use International Car Hire at Faro Airport.

We booked our car hire through Car Trawler (an agent) and were provided car hire through International Car.

When we got to Faro we had to walk to the furthest car park to find the Car Hire Provider, and met a woman in a small hut in the car park. She demanded that we sign the paperwork without actually seeing the car (there were infact more dents on it than their paperwork showed but we managed to get them to mark these on for us), and she also took the 750 excess from our credit card straight away rather than holding the excess which car hire companies normally do.

When we took the car back we were met by a guy in a van in the car park who gave us a receipt and said all was in order, and that we would be refunded the 750 euro, less the petrol and less the rental which was fine.

Two weeks later we are still awaiting the refund and to be quite honest I would suggest we don't have much hope judging on the type of outfit that they looked like! Really you shouldn't have to chase for a refund?! Have contacted Car Trawler today in the hope that this will be sorted straight away. God forbid that 750 euro they took from us was our holiday money!!!!

The most appauling service i've ever had from a car hire company! I will be paying slightly more next time to go with a 'known' brand such as Avis, Alamo, Hertz etc.

207 replies to this topic
Solihull, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
81. Re: International Car Hire - Faro Airport.

Reply to No.80. I received correct refund on December 27th. If you booked online you'll have gone through "CarTrawler" ( agents, I think, for many Faro airport car hire firms). I contacted them. V. pleasant guy called David Dowling, based in Dublin....number 00353 1 2183821.Best of luck !

Selby, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
82. Re: International Car Hire - Faro Airport.

I have just returned from Faro where I hired a car through car trawler with international car hire,Yes it is a longish walk to car park 4,But it is worth it,I was worried like anybody would be after reading all the bad reviews,But once we got there we went to car park 4 and were seen immeadiatly ,Gave them my credit card for the balance of the hire price 28 euros so total of 33 euros,they also took 85 euros for petrol 55 litres(Fiat Grand Punto),They then asked for my credit card again for the excess of 750 euros but only for pre authoriseation I was a little worried about this as I said I had read that they actually take this from your credit card but they said it was just a pre authorisation so I accepted this they said it would be canceld on the day I brought back the car subject to the car been ok,On returning the car there was no problems,returned the car with 1/4 of tank of petrol the guy said the pre authorisation would be cancelled imediatly and as it happens it was,Iwould use this company again as the car was ok a few scrapes etc but no problems so dont believe all the bad reviews,It must be the cheapest car hire at Faro Airport and no problems,And this is a true review

Ilkley
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
83. Re: International Car Hire - Faro Airport.

Same as 80

They stole 2000 euros in November

Informed mastercard and completed dispute form

Still waiting for refund

Sent many emails ro Argus regarding

1.car not ready

2.car eventually provided smaller than booked

3. Charged ( stole ) 100 euros for a tank of fuel

End result, an offer of 25 Euros compensation!!!

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
84. Re: International Car Hire - Faro Airport.

same as every one , DO NOT USE CAR TRAWLER OR INTERNATIONAL,.

i booked a merc vito 25.11.12 till 02.12.12 get to faro and remember i had used them before and car park 4 is a hike, and when you get there the hire desk is not for international there was a guy hiding in the corner who took ages as everyone was complaining about all the hidden charges, i eventually after an hour wait and was flabergasted to be given a beaten up old fiat ducatto, not close to a vito? i had to put 2000 euro down as a deposit and 175 euro for fuel, we had allready had enough so drove off, on return the same guy in the van took it back i pointed out it had near bald tyres and he just shrugged his shoulders, when i arrived home i realized they had actually taken the deposit out of my account 2000 euros. i gave it the 20 days which is stated in the car trawler contact, to which they said sorry and phoned international who said the process had been activated and the money should arrive shortly, car trawler then said they would e-mail conformation and indeed keep me updated, now every phone call is different excuses but at least now they have registered it as a problem and now will take up to 14 days to resolve, absolute robbery! oh AND THE BEST THING CAR TRAWLER HAS A REVIW PAGE SO SIMILAR TO THIS REVIEW I POSTED IT IN THERE REVIEWS ! BUT SURPRISE THEY DIDN'T POST IT .so now after 5 weeks they still have my 2000 euros.

and like others say most companies just take a copy of your card details and tear it up on the reurn of the vehicle

bob southampton

Ilkley
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
85. Re: International Car Hire - Faro Airport.

82 you have been lucky

You ask that people not to believe all the bad reviews!!!

Well sorry, believe mine

1. No car ready

2.Smaller car provided than paid for

3 Charged 100 euro for a tank of ,actual cost 50 euro

AND 44 DAYS LATER STILL WAITING FOR 2000 EUROS THAT I HAVE NOW HAD TO PAY MASTERCARD

AND YES THIS IS A TRUE REVIEW!!!

derby
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
Save Reply
86. Re: International Car Hire - Faro Airport.

Reply 82 you must be one of very few lucky people. Not disputing your review, but I will stay with same firm I've used loads of times. OK I might pay a bit more, but to me it's money we'll spent.

Manchester
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
87. Re: International Car Hire - Faro Airport.

Do not use “INTERNATIONAL CAR HIRE” in Portugal

I hired a car through Argus/Car Trawler (car hire agents) who I have used on many visits to Portugal.

On my visit to Portugal in November we went to pick up our car from International Car Hire at Faro Airport.

I did not take up the optional excess insurance and was asked for my credit card in case of damage on returning the car.

As in all the occasions when hiring a car this is the normal procedure and if the car is returned with no damage your credit card receipt is returned to you.

When I asked do they want to take the payment for the hire and petrol I was informed that this will be done when I returned the car.

On returning the car(24th Nov) with no damage, they then told me that they had taken 750 Euros’ out of my credit card account and the hire and petrol will be deducted and the balance refunded to my card.

This accounted to about £440.00

Having checked my account after 1 week this had not be credited.

I got there email address’s from their website and emailed them.

No reply.

I phoned International Car Hire in Portugal and they stated that somebody would phone me back.

No phone call back

In the meantime Argus had sent me an email for a customer feedback. I informed them about the refund and they raised a customer complaint and they would contact the hire company.

A email from Argus then stated that they had contact them and the refund has been done and allow 10 working days for the transaction, if I have not received it by then to contact my Credit Card Company.

The complaint was then closed.

After 10 days and no refund I contacted my credit card company and they advise to wait another 30 days.

I phoned International Car Hire and was told that somebody would phone me back and was assured that that I would get the phone call.

After 2 days (4th Jan) I decided to email them and tell them what I thought and I would contact The Tourist Board in Portugal and the Algarve Newspapers.

Also that I was coming out to Faro in May and I would distribute leaflets about their company.

Then out of the blue(7th Jan) I received a phone call from them saying that the refund will be in my account within 3 hours or first thing in the morning.

Refund finally arrived 8th Jan

As with many other reports about this company I am surprised with Argus/Car Trawler still deal with them.

Ilkley
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
88. Re: International Car Hire - Faro Airport.

50 days now passed since 2000 euros taken and still no refund

INTERNATIONAL CAR HIRE FARO = THIEVES

Manchester
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
89. Re: International Car Hire - Faro Airport.

Have you phoned them or emailed them isabel.gaspar@internationalcar.pt

Also suggest that you contact your credit card company to dispute the taking of the money

Ilkley
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
90. Re: International Car Hire - Faro Airport.

My contract was with Argus car rental, they contacted International weeks ago and promised a refund in 5 days and do not really want to know or help

I have contacted Mastercard and are having to prove my claim and copy and post all documents

I have sent emails to International and just sent another to the email you provided....Thanks

Fact is I should not have to be doing any of this, I have now had to pay my Credit card company, if no money back by the end of today, I will contact all UK and Portugese media and let the public know just what they are dealing with.... INTERNATIONAL CAR HIRE FARO.....THIEVES

Reply to: International Car Hire - Faro Airport.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted