We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Economy Car Hire - a bad experience.

glasgow
Level Contributor
23 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Economy Car Hire - a bad experience.

I read a lot of positive things about this company befor hiring a people carrier through them in June at Faro Airport. Please be aware - the car I received from their partner comany Amoita ( I think also known as Rent 4 Less) was a fairly old, rather tired and VERY used Citroen Picasso. To add insult, they charged me for a full tank of petrol on my return to the UK, yet when I collected the car in the car park - the representative did not accompany me to confirm this - it was a quarter full, however I only noticed this when I was on the motorway to Lagos. I immediately took a photograph to show this, rather than return to the airport. While I have photographs showing this was the case, Econmy Car Hire also failed to help get a refund from them. Also be aware, that your contract is not with Economy Car Hire, but the local car hire company, making any further action very difficult indeed. Never again - for the little extra, choose a well known name!

41. Re: Economy Car Hire - a bad experience.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:05 pm, October 19, 2012
Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Economy Car Hire - a bad experience.

i have booked with ECH a lot,you get extra driver free,you have to pay at a lot of car hire firms,last year i booked car through them,when we arrived at alicanta a/p,no one came to pick us up,after thirty min,my husband phoned they had forgot about us,when we took car back to murcia a/p,no one there to get car my husband phoned firm again,they just said leave it open,put key in clove compartment,if that car had been stolen it was done to us,when i got back i told ECH,they said you don't have to book with that firm again,now i get to choose,firm i book with,our bad exeirance,wasn't ECH fault it was firm we got car from,as for fuel,it is a rip of with ever firm you have to pick up full and return empty,i think this only started about two years ago,because we used to take back full,now it costs us more for car,four days hire,then it does for flights,one of worse car hire firms was car hire 3000;

London
Level Contributor
12 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Economy Car Hire - a bad experience.

Hi,

I have used this company about 8 times over the last year and they were very good every time.

Everyone should know that a brooker is an intermediary and not the company you are doing business with.

They are inexpensive, you get a free driver and there is no CDW excess to worry about. They have also changed my bookings on a copuple of times with no fuss.

If you had the wrong amount of fuel in the tank you should have called them or the rental company when you noticed the issue and given them the opportunity to put the problem right. I think if I were in their shoes I'd be a little sceptical about someone sending a photograph of a fuel gauge registering 1/4 full some time after the problem had been indentified.

Mike

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
Save Reply
44. Re: Economy Car Hire - a bad experience.

linda w.

As your concerns relate to car hire in Spain they should be expressed on the Spanish forums.This is a Portuguese forum.

Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
3,829 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Economy Car Hire - a bad experience.

Linda before everyone gets on your case it is a fact that in Spain the fuel rip off happens with I would say most of the companies. In the Algarve the suppliers ECH use all have a return fuel as you found it policy, I have been using them for years with out any problem. And yes that is correct once you have used them once you have created an account and get to choose the supplier next time. Sorry to hear about your experience though.

London, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Economy Car Hire - a bad experience.

I don't really see it matters whether it's a Portugal forum or not - the thread is about Economy Car Hire, and they are probably the best of all the brokers I've tried. However, I don't use them all the time, as I tend to look for the best deal - and I make sure I read the terms and conditions so I know what I'm getting!

Not reading the T&Cs can lead to renting with a company which offers the full/empty fuel policy that has been mentioned. This is becoming increasingly popular with the rental companies in Portugal, but I suspect it's partly because Goldcar is now in Portugal, and some of the smaller companies have followed their lead. It allows companies to advertise at lower prices, but it's "hidden" extras that boost the final cost!

On the other hand I used Avis at Faro in January, and they charged me around £30 for something I never asked for. The car was booked through Avis in the UK, and I received a refund, however the lesson is be careful and keep your wits about you - both large and small companies are capable of scams!

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
Save Reply
47. Re: Economy Car Hire - a bad experience.

Actually it does matter. If every car rental discussion for Spain ended up on this board we'd talking about nothing else.

London, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Economy Car Hire - a bad experience.

It isn't a car rental discussion about Spain, it's a car rental discussion about Economy Car Hire. The original poster presumably posted it here because it was a Portuguese rental, but it was about a UK company, so it could be argued it shouldn't be here at all!

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
Save Reply
49. Re: Economy Car Hire - a bad experience.

Yes, that makes a lot of sense.

Lowestoft, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Economy Car Hire - a bad experience.

i too have used ECH many times in greece only on one occasion have i had a problem. when i notified them the matter was dealt with professionally and after checking i received a goodwill gesture which was all that was needed. i have used them since and will do so this summer.