We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental

Which Faro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dollar, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
39 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental

Don't hire a car with Goldcar ex Faro Airport (this is also the ground operator for Holiday Autos at that destination).

I had a booking with holiday autos where the rental partner was defined as Auriga Crown Portugal, a company which no longer exists following acquisition by Gold Cars. On arrival in Faro, it took some time and local questioning to figure this out. This was followed by a 2 hour queue at the Gold Car offices while 2 staff processed customers and 4 staff chatted. On reaching the service point, Gold Car refused to adhere to the booking conditions documented in my voucher. They then refused to give me staff names and when I asked for a complaint form one agent became aggressive. Despite having prepaid, he told me that I was not a customer and therefore could not make a complaint. I left the premises when he became physically threatening.

Alex Todd

168 replies to this topic
Conwy, United...
1 post
Save Reply
111. Re: Car Rental

APRIL 2nd 2013, Do not hire a car from Gold Car in Faro Airport. They have bought out Auriga Crown who used to be good. Gold Car ripped us off left, right and center, and laughed in our faces while doing so. After 20 years of hiring cars in Portugal we've never felt so cheated and used. They charged us 88 euros for fuel which we never used and couldn't (as we were only there for 4 days!!) they robbed you for the toll on the A22 and robbed you again for the insurance excess. Keep away from Gold Car in Portugal, there are enough hones local hire cars to choose from would not want anyone suffering the way we did.

Sagres
Level Contributor
291 posts
Save Reply
112. Re: Car Rental

Why dont people search on google before choosing which rental company they sould go on?

Oban, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
55 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
113. Re: Car Rental

I think its all very well to ask that question, clearly a lot of people here wish they had checked Goldacar out. I imagine those who have been caught out will forever more check before renting. Unfortunately, Goldcar are used by many brokers, who by and large are reputable companies, giving the impression that all will be well. Having rented from Holiday Autos, for many years without issue, i got caught out by Goldcar. Its pretty human to expect that most people are honest, sadly Goldcar don't fall into the honest category. If only we were all smart enough to check out every detail every time.

derby
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
Save Reply
114. Re: Car Rental

Is it possible to find out from broker which firm rental will be with? Will pay extra and go with well known hire co again. Couldn't stand all the waiting around for car and then being conned!

Oban, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
55 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
115. Re: Car Rental

yes,, you can. I have found now, that once i find a deal on the internet, a phone call to the broker will confirm the rental company, then you can decide.

derby
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
Save Reply
116. Re: Car Rental

Many thanks indeed for that info.

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
Save Reply
117. Re: Car Rental

I do the same as ronandkristen when I use holiday autos.

Berlin, Germany
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
118. Re: Car Rental

Never use Goldcar!! Abzocke!!

The car was booked with fully comprehensive insurance. At Faro I was told, to pay for a additional so called "Super Relax" insurance (€110) otherwise I had to pay €1.250 cost sharing in case of damage (see FAQs at Goldcar homepage).

Additional cost for road charge sensor (€1,50/Tag); 56€ for a half-full tank (supposed it’s full); car was littered with small damages; not clean inside; during the week several times warning light „low level brack liquid“ – Service found nothing. It seems as if they already knew this problem, but don’t fix it. Good luck for the next renter. Never again!

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
119. Re: Car Rental

We had a similar experience, booked a car for 5 days charge debited to my car rather than being 38 gbp it was 124gbp therefore we paid 86 gbp for a full tank of petrol which in a small car would have been no more than 40 gbp. We have come home to find that a further 753gbp has been charged to our credit card, which i assume is the excess, but it was charged the day we left rather than the day we arrived. Has anyone with similar experience had their money refunded or are they total robbing b's. Can anyone advise. (sorry pound sign isnt working)

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
120. Re: Car Rental

On the 16th of May we went to the Edinburgh office (24 East London Street, Edinburgh, EH7 4BQ) of Avis to pick up our 7 seater car. The person at the desk (a man called John) told us that since the driver has got his UK license only in November of last year, NO car company will rent a car to him. According to John, this is a rule laid down by DVLA. Of course, we believed him as he is the subject matter expert and not us. After this, he told us that he will be sending across an email and I should get the reimbursement within 7 working days. Though our Scotland trip was in doldrums because of this, we thanked him for his help and left.

We happened to pass by an Sixt showroom and found out that the DVLA does not have any rule which states that a car cannot be rented to a person who has got a UK license for less than 3 years - imagine our shock!

So I called back and John conveniently changed the story and told us that it's a rule laid down by his insurance company and not by DVLA. He once again confirmed that the email had been sent and that I should get the reimbursement within 7 working days.

Today, the 29th of May, I decided to call up Avis once again as I had still not received the credit. This time I spoke to a lady who told me that since I had booked it through Argus, I would need to call them up directly and that Avis can do nothing about it. After this I immediately called up Argus and they directed me to Car Trawler. So I have logged a complaint on their website.

I have had a terrible experience with Avis. You go on a holiday to relax and they have only stressed me and my family out. We needed a 7 seater car and to get that at the very last minute is next to impossible in Edinburgh. My family had to wait at the station while a few of us had to spend more than 3 hours hunting for a 7 seater – not the ideal way for you to begin your holiday.

This is absolutely pathetic customer service and I would not recommend Avis to anyone. John not only misled us about the DVLA, he also provided us with incorrect information. They did not even have the courtesy to call or email us and let us know of their mistake. I would expect a lot more from a leading car rental company like Avis. This sort of customer service in today’s day and age is inexcusable.

Reply to: Car Rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted