We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walk to Carvoeiro

KENT
Level Contributor
23 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Walk to Carvoeiro

I am looking at Villa's in this area and most seem to say 15-20 mins walk to village of Carvoeiro. The villa's are near Centianes beach. Is this walk to the village possible with children, push chair etc. Is it an easy walk with footpaths/lighting or a dangerous road to walk along?

Algar Seco
Geologic Formations, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Praia do Carvalho
Beaches, Caverns & Caves, Hiking Trails, Reefs
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,000 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walk to Carvoeiro

It's about a mile and a half into Carvoeiro itself, maybe a bit too far with children and push chairs. There's quite a steep hill to deal with leaving Carvoeiro coming back, the old village is down at the bottom of a deep valley.

There's a diagrammatic map here

http://www.carvoeiro.com/images/Carvmap1.gif

The Estrada de Farol is quite a busy road as it leads to several resort areas and beaches. If I recall correctly it does have footpaths and certainly has lighting. There is an infrequent and irregular bus service along that road.

I hope that helps.

Didcot, England
Level Contributor
52 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walk to Carvoeiro

We stayed at the Tivoli hotel at the top of the Estrada do Farol, which was halfway between Carvoeiro town centre and Centeanes beach. We walked from the hotel to Centeanes and it took about 20 minutes, so I would allow 30 minutes to walk from Centeanes to the town centre (maybe longer with pushchairs). The section of the walk from Carvoeiro to Centeanes that I didn't like was an area after the Tivoli hotel where there is no footpath and the road bends, so you can't see traffic coming. It's not a really busy main road as in England, but there is a steady stream of traffic, some going faster than it should.

There are plenty of taxis parked at the bottom of the Estrada do Farol in Carvoeiro, so getting back up the hill shouldn't be a problem.

It depends how often you want to go into Carvoeiro. The beach at Centeanes is very nice and there are some bars and restaurants in the area (including some on the Rocha Brava resort), along with a mini-supermarket, so you may not feel the need to go into Carvoeiro every day.

3. Re: Walk to Carvoeiro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:47 am, July 15, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Carvoeiro
Recent Conversations