We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lisbon to Carvoeiro by train

Level Contributor
37 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Lisbon to Carvoeiro by train

Myself and my husband will be travelling from Lisbon to Carvoeiro by train. Looking at the train schedule it appears we will travel from Libson Oriente station. However, I can't find a direct train connection to Lagoa and it would look like we will need to travel to Tunes and then on to Lagoa on the regional train. Is carvoeiro far from Tunes and could someone tell me if it is really necessary to travel on to Lagoa. Im thinking that we might get a taxi from Tunes if it was not too far.

Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
Lisbon District, Portugal
Carvoeiro
Carvoeiro
Faro District, Portugal
Lagoa
Lagoa
Faro District, Portugal
Malveira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos, Mafra
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lisbon to Carvoeiro by train

There is no train station at either Carvoeiro nor Lagoa.

Nearest Station to Carvoeiro is Estombar but unless you arrange a taxi or car to meet you, you will be stuck as it is now just a halt with no ticket office nor facilities.

I would not recommend descending at Tunes as there are rarely taxis available at the Station there either.

I would suggest that you should either get off the lisbon - faro train at Albufeira Station and get a taxi there or get off the lisbon - faro train at Tunes Station, change to a local train to Portimão and then get a taxi at Portimao to Carvoeio. Warning late in the evening there may be no taxis at Portimao station. In my opinion the Portimao option is the best.

TTaxis who also posts to this forum may also be able give you more advice.

Mentioned in this post
Carvoeiro
Carvoeiro
Faro District, Portugal
Lagoa
Lagoa
Faro District, Portugal
Albufeira
Albufeira
Faro District, Portugal
Portimao
Portimao
Faro District, Portugal
West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
661 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lisbon to Carvoeiro by train

I also think that you are better travelling to Portimao and then getting a taxi to Carveiro which is'nt that far .We got a taxi from Portimao to Lagoa a couple of years ago can not remember how much it was but know it was'nt extortionate, whenever we have used the train to Portimao there have been taxis at the station they know when a train is due.

Mentioned in this post
Portimao
Portimao
Faro District, Portugal
Lagoa
Lagoa
Faro District, Portugal
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
56,219 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lisbon to Carvoeiro by train

I would support the Portimao option - a taxi from there to Carvoeiro is the sensible choice. It would take only about 20 minutes, if that. Estombar train station is indeed a bleak place!

The connections at Tunes are immediate - the local train to Portimao waits for the Lisbon express trains.

Mentioned in this post
Portimao
Portimao
Faro District, Portugal
Carvoeiro
Carvoeiro
Faro District, Portugal
Lisbon
Lisbon
Level Contributor
37 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lisbon to Carvoeiro by train

barlaventoexport, algarveaddict, cubsur,

Thanks for the information it is very much appreciated. Looks like Lisbon/Tunes/Portimao is the way to go.

Thanks again

Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
Portimao
Portimao
Faro District, Portugal
West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
661 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lisbon to Carvoeiro by train

I think you have made the right choice ,we have been to Lisbon and did that ,think it was about 9pm when we arrived in Portimao and there were taxis waiting outside

Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
Portimao
Portimao
Faro District, Portugal
6. Re: Lisbon to Carvoeiro by train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:26 am, August 27, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Carvoeiro
Recent Conversations