We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

alfagar apartments or brisa sol aparthotel

england
2 posts
Save Topic
alfagar apartments or brisa sol aparthotel

hi everyone new user here. looking to book next years holiday in august and fancy a change from spain. i have picked 2 choices out, alfagar and brisa sol. would anyone be able to tell me which would be the best, we have 2 children aged 2 and 8 and basically as long as they are happy we are too. i have heard if you book in the alfagar you can use alto da colinas facilities, is this true? does albufeira have anything on a night time for young kids to do that would keep them safe and happy. would really appreciate any info from seasoned portugal travellers who would give an honest opinion, not a brochure opinion thanks a lot bye

liverpool
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: alfagar apartments or brisa sol aparthotel

hi, my partner and I with our 2 children ages 4 and 8 have just come back from Afagar apartments ( 17th sept) while i do not know what brisa sol aparthotel is like I do know about Afagar. Afagar is a really lovely place, the grounds are very clean and well kept, our two children were very happy by the pool of a day or the beach whch is down about 100 private steps next to the apartments. There is lots of places to visit of the day, zoo marine is a must. The only thing i would say is that its quite a long walk to the strip, i would say 25 mins, we only did it a couple of times and the rest we got a taxi which cost about 4 to 5 euros. Also go to the old town i thought it was better than the strip. I will be honest with you there is not a lot for children of a night, by the time we went for our evening meal and had a few drinks the children were board and ready for bed. But saying all that the children and us loved it and would love to go again. Hope this helps. If you want any more info I will be happy to help. Dawn

england
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: alfagar apartments or brisa sol aparthotel

hi dawn thanks for the reply. the alfagar looks lovely in the brochure and they have a childrens playground there. is that any good for little ones. also do you know if you can use alto da colinas facilities . that is the sister hotel of the alfagar and looks really good but it is expensive for self catering. . how did you cope with no air conditioning . in the appts also is it expensive to eat out all the time. cheers dawn

liverpool
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: alfagar apartments or brisa sol aparthotel

hi, The childrens play ground will be great for your 8 year old but not your 2 year old, however there is a pool just for the little ones which is near the playground what would be ideal for your young one. I dont know if you can use the facilities of the alto da colins because we never saw that ( its not next to the afagar). Having no air con did not bother us because it gos very chilly of a night, you will see everyone walking around with light jackets at night. we ate out every night and would cost between 40 to 60 euros, that would be for starters, main meals, sweet and drinks for the four of us. The food is lovely specialy if you love steak or fish. The best 2 restaurants we found is the o tunnel in the old town and the sizziling steak on the stirp. Hope this helps and anything else I will be happy to help Dawn

algarve
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: alfagar apartments or brisa sol aparthotel

hi the alto colina is across the road and up aslight hill from the alfagar, bout 5minswalk. cant really comment on the alfagar as we stayed at the alto. walked through the grounds, but seemed pretty quiet( not much going on) but that was in june! in my opinion the alto is agreat place for families. we went with 2 children aged 5 and 9 and they had a ball. kids club, soccer school etc etc. we walked to the strip every night and never found it a problem, also you will not need a jacket at night if you go in august. you mention the alto is too expensive. try eclipse travel on the net ( its a part of first choice) we have booked for next year and saved a few hundred quid. when you price the holiday, dont book 2 adults and 2 children, go for 4 adults. this way you cut out the under occupancy as the apartments are based on 4 adults sharing. ( we did it this year and saved a fortune) hope this helps. marie.

London
Level Contributor
570 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: alfagar apartments or brisa sol aparthotel

I haven't stayed at the alfagar but I have stayed at the brisa sol aparthotel and am going there again in November. Our children are grown up so sorry, can't comment on the kids stuff but I did notice there were some children on the indoor crazy golf . The entertainment in the bar wasn't up to much but I have only been off-season.

The apartments are roomy and clean and the hotel itself is really nice. If you get a choice of a pool view it is worth paying the extra, not just because of the view but you get the sun all day and having air conditioning this is nice. The other side of the hotel is in the shade and overlooks a road, but the apartments are obviously still nice. I book the hotel through alpharooms.com or hotelopia.co.uk, which give you the pool view choice.

There is a big supermarket almost next door to the hotel so that is handy. We eat out most of the time so don't really cook much in the apartment but I do seem to remember the kitchen was pretty basic.

Although the hotel isn't near the beach, there is a tourist mini train stop right outside the hotel. It runs about 3 times an hour and stops at the strip then the old town, very near the beach, and costs 3 euro for a daily ticket to use as much as you want. The hotel's website is http://www.hotelbrisasol.com.

Hope that helps a bit.

Alison

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Olhos de Agua
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: alfagar apartments or brisa sol aparthotel

Helo,

I Know Alfagar and Brisa Sol. Alfagar is much better. Is small, nice and closed garden, 3 swimimgs pools ( 1 especially for kids ), bar and restaurant, a litle supermarket and near the beach. The apartments are very nice. The beach near Alfagar is Santa Eulalia, is very nice but in summer has many people ( like the others beachs in Algarve ! ). Near Alfagar has a bus stop to Albufeira and Praia da Oura.

One day a weak there are portuguese folclore in restaurant and is not very expensive.

I have 2 kids ( 12 and 9 years old ) and I go alone with them to Alfagar without car. I like stay there because is calm, nice and safety for the children. I have fresh bread every morning, a good restaurant, a bar to take a coffe, nice pools with sunbed.

Is a good choice!

7. Re: alfagar apartments or brisa sol aparthotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:37 am, August 20, 2009