We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pateo village in December with children.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
85 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Pateo village in December with children.

Hello you lovely lot. We are off a week today to pateo village with our 2 boys aged 10 and 12. I know they are going to moan and winge that they are bored.

Is there any other families going around that time with similar children? Are there many families or is it mainly couples or other adults?

Myself and my husband are quite capable of entertaining ourselves but if it's not electrical they boys are harder to please.

Does anyone know of things I can do with them? Most places seem to be closed.

Thank you. :-)

Sammi, Bertie, Logan and Benjamin.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
53,133 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pateo village in December with children.

I live just around the corner from Páteo Village apartments. There is not much for children to do hereabouts. The old town and beach are about 12 - 15 minutes downhill walk, a bit longer coming back as it is uphill all the way. No guarantee it will be beach weather, but the signs are good.

There is a special weekend travelling market and funfair up on the market site by the main bus station which I think is open for the next three weekends. There are old fashioned dodgems and that kind of stuff plus masses of stalls selling fake designer clothes, woollens, handbags, shoes etc etc. It costs nothing to get in and is easy to get to on the bus. Otherwise it is about a mile to walk or you can of course take taxis. It opens early in the afternoon and goes on well into the night. It's very loud, you can literally hear the music half a mile away. Do ask and check locally in case I am wrong about this.

You are right that the outdoor tourist attractions are closed. But the weather has been very nice recently and I have seen that some of the boat trips from the marina are still operating. Not the fast scary ones the boys would enjoy best, but even a sedate trip could be worth checking out. The marina is about half a mile away. it's a nice enough walk in any case.

Down there at the marina is an indoor karting setup in the underground car park. Website in English at http://algarvekarting.com/

If you are unlucky and it's a rainy day, about four miles away is the Algarve Shopping Mall which has a nine screen cinema. Other than children's films, everything is shown in English. At the moment they are showing 'Frozen' in both English and Portuguese (at different times), Delivery Man, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire and Thor, the Dark World (both 12 and over only), Last Vegas etc.

Daily programmes start around 1 or 2pm and it's €6.50 for adults. cineplace.pt/programacao-cineplace-algarvesh… click on the film title to see the English title which is sometimes different. VPort means it's the Portuguese language version.)

Plus the fact there are masses of shops including a Sportzone store and a large Worten electrical store full of toys for boys of all ages. All the shops are open until10pm seven days a week. No early closing here. You would need a car or taxi to get there and back.

I hope that helps as a start. Ask here again if we can help anymore.

(PS Páteo Village isn't a hotel as such. it's several two and three story blocks of apartments set out with grassy bits in between and loads of semi wild cats in residence. There's a small local shop 3 minutes walk away on the 'main road' by the traffic lights where you can buy stuff and another larger shop across the road a bit further. The small shop closes at lunchtimes and all day Sundays, the other one is open 12 hours a day, seven days a week.)

Mentioned in this post
Algarve Shopping
Algarve Shopping
679 Reviews
Albufeira, Portugal
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
557 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pateo village in December with children.

hiya yonohesido family we are also coming ova for xmas but travelling 21st dec to 28th family of 3 14yr old boy we also wonder what will keep him from moaning :( I will keep checking what people tell u haha a like lots of info b4 I go x

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
85 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pateo village in December with children.

Cubsur thank you so much for all that info. Bevsawood where are you staying? I'm very much looking forward to going and we do enjoy seeing some of the real country that we are staying in. Is public transport any good?

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
85 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pateo village in December with children.

Also cubsur, The aldi and lidl... What are the prices like? I don't want to buy toiletries to take if I can get it over there relatively cheap. I'm not bothered about name brands as long as it does it's job!! We are going to do a big shop when we get there and I'm budgeting. Lol

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
53,133 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pateo village in December with children.

ALDI and LIDL are about 3/4 mile away from Páteo, almost opposite one another. If you are doing a big shop you will need a car or taxi as there is no convenient bus to back to Páteo with loaded bags and there is a steep hill to deal with. I don't go to either, but you may find that because of high VAT rates here in Portugal some things like toiletries can be a little more expensive than in the UK.

A lot of things will be cheaper especially fresh fruit and veg, wine of course, fish and rice which all grow here. Packaged food is subject to VAT up to 23% and again some items can be expensive. Avoid UK brands if you can which will cost 2 or 3 times the price at home.

Páteo has a local bus every half hour every day, Sundays and Holidays included which goes down to the marina then back up the hill and then via a rather roundabout route down into the old town and off up to where I go shopping, the Continente / Modelo shopping centre near the Câmara (town hall) and eventually to the main bus station.

The bus runs from down to the marina and into town at 0725 until 2125 in winter. The last bus back up the hill from the old town is at 2115 in winter. If you get on the bus at the old town stop check it is going the right way as the buses in both directions leave at the same time!

There is a flat fare of €1.40 for any GIRO local bus journey. If you plan to use the buses more than seven times, you should buy a pre paid GIRO pass from the bus shop in town. That reduces the fare to 80 cents. Having said that if there are three or more people a taxi will be cheaper than paying the cash bus fare for almost any journey within town.

The Páteo stop is by the traffic lights about 150 metres from Páteo Village apartments. You will see the bus shelter opposite the little shop and café.

More details about local buses at http://www.algarvebus.info/albufeira.htm

Unfortunately getting from Páteo to anywhere else further afield can be a bit of a trial as most of the buses out of town leave from the main bus station and don't come anywhere near Páteo. It's perfectly possible to get to places like Armação de Pera, Portimão, Silves, Guia, Galé beach and Messines without going all the way across town first, but you will need to know exactly what to do! Loulé, Vilamoura etc and places to the east require a trip into town first.

If any of you are sports fans you will find that almost every bar in town shows Premier League football and mostly from Sky or BT Sport. There are places which will be showing Rugby and the darts world championship.

I hope that helps. It's another nice sunny day here.

Edited: 4:10 am, December 06, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Guia
Guia
Albufeira, Portugal
Vilamoura
Vilamoura
Quarteira, Portugal
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
85 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pateo village in December with children.

Thank you yet again! Where do you shop? I am a total skin flint and hate paying more than I have to! Lol. My husband is even worse, he will walk 2 miles out of the way to save a penny. Hehehe

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
53,133 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pateo village in December with children.

I go to Continente / Modelo mainly because I can get the bus back with my bags.

It's about a mile, say 20 minutes walk, straight along the main road just past McDonald's. I walk there and get the bus back. I do use the local shop for odd bits and pieces but obviously Continente is a lot cheaper eg 1.5 litres of own brand orange juice in Continente is 99 cents compared with €1.69 in the local shop.

Some other items from yesterday's shopping. I am am a tightfist as well. I don't know how this compares to UK exactly nowadays.

pork steaks €2.45 per kg

I litre own brand lemonade 74 cents (VAT on that is 23%!) same goes for all soft drinks

bottle of rosé wine (a good one) €1,25 with my discount card

1 dozen eggs XL size €2,78

1 kg of apples €1,69

1kg of bananas 99 cents

1kg of white grapes €1,99

Tomatoes €1.39 a kilo

mixed red and green peppers €1.16 a kilo

Nice bread loaf €1,60

Small baguette 70 cents

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
557 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pateo village in December with children.

hiya we are staying at the forte do vale think its beside the worms roundabout cant wait, what to pack that is the question haha

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Albufeira
Level Contributor
8,082 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pateo village in December with children.

Yes Bevsa inbetween the worms roundabout and Tres Palmares roundabout, Take a visit to Fat Cats Bar near to Worms roundabout, lovely family bar, friendly staff with entertainment and a good British menu if you fancy eating there. Tripadvisor reviews:http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g189112-d1216424-Reviews-Fat_Cats_Diner-Albufeira_Faro_District_Algarve.html

There is a new go karting place opened up on the marina in the underground carpark called Hotwheels, maybe that would entertain your son, only open at the moment Friday , Saturday , and Sunday , 13:00 to 19:00 . This is their website http://algarvekarting.com also there is Parque Aventura in St Eulalia, just East of Oura and The strip area , hopefully its open, was a few weeks ago lusoaventura.com/en/the-adventure-parks.html Tripadvisor reviews tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g189112-…

Mentioned in this post
Parque Aventura
Parque Aventura
475 Reviews
Olhos de Agua, Portugal
Fat Cat's
Fat Cat's
1,263 Reviews
Albufeira, Portugal
Albufeira
Albufeira
Faro District, Portugal
Faro District
Faro District
Algarve, Portugal
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
85 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pateo village in December with children.

I'm puzzled too. We went to Egypt in June and took WAY too many clothes as we just lived in swim wear and could wash stuff and it would be dry in 10 mins! I'm packing jeans and Wearing my huge big winter coat too in the hope I have to buy vest tops and shorts out there. Lol.

Get answers to your questions about Albufeira