We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel advice please

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Travel advice please

Hello there

We are flying toPortugal for 4 days on SUnday - our first time. We are staying in an apartment -Residencias dos Salgados, Albufeira. We have hired a car and would like some ideas about where to explore please - we like small towns to explore, history, markets, just getting to know the country. Any suggestions gretafully received!!

Newcastle, England
Level Contributor
1,596 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel advice please

Silves is a must.

Portimao and the surrounding area.

Alcantarilha for the Bones Chapel. http://www.carvoeiro.com/Guide/capeladosossos

(couple of nice local cheap restaurants near the church)

Loule for the market, maybe do it with a visit to Vilamoura on the same day.

Alvor and Lagos

Edited: 4:17 pm, October 17, 2013
Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,179 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel advice please

Have a look at www.visitalgarve.pt Under 'downloads' you find a monthly program, covering the entire Algarve. You will also find brochures, maps and ebooklets. One of them "routes around the Algarve" with nice scenic drives.

There's a big fair going on in Faro, worth a visit. You find the info in the monthly program.

Enjoy your holiday!

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
50,258 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel advice please

I saw the funfair in Faro being set up yesterday when I passed by on the train. It's big. I saw old fashioned dodgems, a big wheel and all sorts. It's located on the car park of the Largo São Franciso, just off the city centre. That location does create a problem for visitors from out of town as it is normally Faro´s largest car park!

May I add that Salgados is about 5 miles from Albufeira itself. If you come into town by car, the official car parks will cost 1 Euro an hour, maximum 5 Euros per day. There is free parking on the outskirts but around 10 minutes uphill walk back to your vehicle.

Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
870 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel advice please

Faro is bigger, and living city.

Olhao is nice too

Newcastle, England
Level Contributor
1,596 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel advice please

Antonio - is there anything worth seeing on the island at Faro?

I've viewed it on landing and take off, but due to early return flights it's not really an option. But, in December I'm lucky enough to have a late return flight and was thinking of a few hours in the city and perhaps the island if any value there.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
50,258 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel advice please

In the summer it is a very good beach and very popular with the people in the city. In December, if it is a nice day, it might be worth taking a short visit there. If it's raining or windy, then no. I don't know if any of the cafés and restaurants are open in winter but as quite a few live on the island it is possible there will be.

Newcastle, England
Level Contributor
1,596 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel advice please

Thanks and yes in December the weather would play a part.

I might pop over for a short visit if it's not raining and windy.

What is the parking like in Faro city? Is it worth parking outside and getting the bus in and out?

What are the 'must sees' in Faro?

Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
870 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel advice please

There is no difficulty to park in the city, maybe just sometimes in summer... no worries :-)

Newcastle, England
Level Contributor
1,596 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel advice please

Thank you.

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,179 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel advice please

In Faro the easiest is to park on the Largo de S. Francisco square: http://goo.gl/maps/oF6S0

From there you can walk through Faro.

There will probably be some men looking to guide you to a space and hoping for a coin. Just give them 50 cents or so and they'll be happy and look after your car. If you don't want to do this you best drive all the way through the parking to the other edge and park there. It's better to not upset them, you want your car back undamaged :)

Have a look at: www.portugal-live.net/UK/places/faro.html for places to see.

One thing to not miss is the bone chappel: atlasobscura.com/places/capela-de-ossos-bone…

There's also a Jewish Heritage Center in Faro: tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g189116-c112764/Far…

For Faro island, one restaurant stays usually open. And the moment you enter the island there's a parking with a kiosk. They also usually stay open during the winter.

It's rather empty on Faro island during the winter. Although some people live there, others move out to live with family in downtown Faro during the winter as they find it too damp.

Enjoy your visit!

Edited: 9:11 am, October 18, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Albufeira