We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

'areas' of Albufeira??

Which Albufeira hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
CUMBRIA
Level Contributor
556 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
'areas' of Albufeira??

Hi all

I have been reading lots on these pages this past week and I feel like I still havent really 'understood' Albufeira - if that makes any kind of sense??lol Albufeira looks huge - is it broken down into different areas? I keep reading about places and then I realise they are a 'part' of Albufeira! (I think!) I have grasped the 'strip' and the 'old town' but are there different beaches or is it all 'Fishermans beach'? We are staying in the Solario Sao Jose - what part of Albufeira would that be classed as?

Is there a promenade area (as in Spanish Costas) where we can stroll along or does everything happen on the strip or old town in the evening? I watched a you tube video of the old town and it wasnt really what I was expecting!lol I thought it was a quaint cobbled area and the lively bit was the strip but the video showed it heaving with people!! We are traveling with our 3 young children so dont want to be in the thick of the action!lol Would there be a less busy area we could head to in the evening?

I hope this all makes sense??!! I am grateful for any advise (infact I am trying to decide if we should hire a car - but thats a whole other post!haha)

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
45,675 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 'areas' of Albufeira??

Albufeira is big. The town itself is about 3 miles long, from marina to Santa Eulalia and about 1 mile high, from old town to to Caliços or from Oura Beach to Montechoro. 25,000 people live here all year, in summer there will be around 75.000 tourists at any one time, all trying to get in the same places as you.

My picture map of Albufeira might help

www.algarvebus.info/images/roundabouts.jpg

The Solario de São José is an an area called Correeeira on the map, but I have never heard anyone call it that.

If you go to the right hand centre of the map, find the 'Worms' roundabout, Solario de São José is a little way up the road from there called Rua Beato São Vicente. It's actually on the top of a little hill. There's a decent medium sized supermarket at that roundabout.

There is no 'prom' here. Most of the beach is backed by low sandstone cliffs except for Fishermen's Beach, which marks where the river used to come out and where the fishing boats were once moored. They were banished to the new marina area a few years ago. The main Avenida 25 de Abril and the old town Square (which you saw on Youtube) actually sit on top of where the river once flowed. It was covered over a long time ago.

Yes that is a very busy area at night, as is the road parallel to it called Rua Candido dos Reis, known to tourists and reps as 'bar street'. The semi quaint cobbly bits are up the hill which is the really old town, but almost all the bars and shops have long gone from most of that area. People live there though.

Across the other side of the town is the strip, which is a half mile long road of bars, clubs and restaurants squarely aimed at mainly younger British tourists. I don't go there at night, but it is obviously popular.

The only quieter area where you can stroll without the crowds is possibly the marina. But that is well over a mile across town.

You won't need a car if you plan to stay in Albufeira. The old town is a pedestrian zone and in the height of summer parking and traffic are very difficult. You cannot park at most of the other beaches unless you go a few miles out of town to São Rafãel, Galé or Salgados for example - these are 3 or 4 miles to the west.

There are bus stops at the Worms roundabout but from there they don't go down into the old town. A taxi would be only about 4 Euros but the wait for a taxi back at night can easily be an hour on a bad day. it's about 20- 25 minutes walk. There are actually buses back until 2315 to the Worms (they go round in circles, not necessarily the same circles in opposite directions!)

Hope that helps a bit.

Edited: 6:09 pm, July 01, 2013
CUMBRIA
Level Contributor
556 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 'areas' of Albufeira??

Hi,

yes that is a great help, thanks. I like to read up on where we are going before we go so that we are not dragging our 3 children around getting lost!lol We don't mind walking as long as we know we are going the right way! I'll have a good look at the map and try to gt my head around it all!lol

On another note, on a review of the apartments we are staying in someone mentioned that there is a playground around 5 mins walk up the hill near a football pitch? I have looked on google maps and cant see it, have you ever come across it?

thanks again

Albufeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
3,238 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 'areas' of Albufeira??

When you come out of Solario, turn left and follow the road down the hill, over the T-Junction, until you reach a roundabout. Turn right and you will see the playground just beyond the football stadium on the left hand side of the road. There is a skate park straight opposite on the right hand side. I think the road is called Ave das Ilhas.

There is a snack bar next to the playground and just past the skate park, there is a typical Portuguese restaurant called Belchior, which serves very good well priced food. Prato do dia is €6.50 (dish of the day)

Just to get your bearings, if you turned left at the roundabout, you would go up and down the hill and end up at the Swatch Roundabout on the main street, Ave dos Descobrimentos.

Edited: 7:16 pm, July 05, 2013
4. Re: 'areas' of Albufeira??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 07, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Albufeira