We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hand Luggage only - Sun cream/toiletries

Which Albufeira hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Topic
Hand Luggage only - Sun cream/toiletries

Hi All

We are only bringing hand luggage (saving the pennies ;) ) so are limited to 100ml sized bottles.

Only away for 5 days so don't need too much but we will have to get some items full size (probably just sun cream and conditioner - I use a LOT) would this be cheaper to buy in Albufeira or @ Manchester airport? How much is a bottle of sun cream?

merseyside
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hand Luggage only - Sun cream/toiletries

prices vary wildly depending on brand size factor etc etc Airport prices are notoriously expensive

Albufeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
439 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hand Luggage only - Sun cream/toiletries

Sun cream can be expensive here but it is easy to find cheaper. Go to the likes of Lidl or Aldi and buy their brands. Likewise with shampoo and conditioner.

Inverurie, United...
Level Contributor
650 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hand Luggage only - Sun cream/toiletries

I think if you want the popular UK brands you will find they are very expensive abroad. However if you are happy with the Portuguese products you should get sun cream reasonably cheap. If it is UK products I would advise you to buy them in Boots once you have passed security in Manchester.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
44,865 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hand Luggage only - Sun cream/toiletries

If there's a special deal on suncream (eg 2 for 1) at Manchester Airport Boots or suchlike (once you are through security) then go for it as that will almost certainly be cheaper than here.

Shampoo and conditioner won't be a problem, especially own brands in the big supermarkets as mentioned.

Leeds
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hand Luggage only - Sun cream/toiletries

Thanks everyone.

I don't mind own brands.......does anyone know the portugese for conditioner as I can never tell which is shampoo & which is conditioner????

Albufeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
439 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Hand Luggage only - Sun cream/toiletries

Conditioner is condicionador and shampoo is xampu.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
44,865 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hand Luggage only - Sun cream/toiletries

Most of the international (expensive) brands are labelled in English as well as Portuguese and will be on the same shelves as the cheaper supermarket own brands.

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
88 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hand Luggage only - Sun cream/toiletries

Go to Asda! I bought their holiday/travel pack of Nivea products, in a plastic see-through bag (suitable for the airport): shower gel, facial wipes, deoderant, hand cream / moisturiser, small sun lotion and a lip salve. It cost about a fiver. I just bought a few of their mini products to go with it (shampoo, conditioner and toothpaste for another three quid) which all fitted in the bag.You can check it out on the web site.

It lasted me the week I was in Albufeira in March. Have fun!

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hand Luggage only - Sun cream/toiletries

Having being caught out by the exceptional sunshine last week in Lagos, I went on the hunt for sun cream for my 6 year old Daughter, having used up the small bottle we had taken with us. The supermarkets were charging over 15E for Nivea versions. Primark at Portimao has own brand Sun Cream costing 3.50E for a 200ml bottle. Available in Factor 15, 30 and 50. The Factor 50 children's version has a 5 star UV rating on the back of the bottle.

Edited: 8:19 am, April 21, 2013
Inverurie, United...
Level Contributor
650 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hand Luggage only - Sun cream/toiletries

Yes, if you want popular 'brand' names which you see in the UK you will be hammered in the resorts. I've never had a problem using the local Portuguese products.

Get answers to your questions about Albufeira