We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cafe/bar in old town

Birstall
Level Contributor
153 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Cafe/bar in old town

Any recommendations for nice cafe/bars in Old Town - staying at Sol e Mar next week? Also bars that do good Irish Coffee

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,966 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cafe/bar in old town

Tunes bar about 50 yards down the road is a good place to start. British run. I don't know about 'Irish' coffee in there (even though I am in it two or three times a week!) but many of the tourist places advertise it.

You will be only 3 minutes walk from the main square in the old town, where there are half a dozen places all fighting for your custom and there are many more bars etc in the roads leading away from it.

Birstall
Level Contributor
153 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cafe/bar in old town

Thanks for replying - prefer bars in streets rather than on main street where they dont leave you alone when your passing, trying to get you in for food/drink etc.

Where is Tunes bar?

Newcastle, England
Level Contributor
1,596 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cafe/bar in old town

I know what you mean by the 'touts'!

Generally the 'tourist traps' in the Old Town 'Square' and on the main Strip.

They need to 'tout' for a reason, possibly over priced and poor value and normally best avoided unless you like like sort of thing. 'Drag you in off the street type places', not exclusive to the Algarve, but some get caught out even now.

Have a look at the restaurants facing Fisherman's Beach, yes 'tourist traps' to a degree, but cheap during the day and a great setting which you would normally pay a lot more for. You don't need to buy a meal, a coffee / beer is suffice and nice relaxing outside in the sun.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
6,451 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cafe/bar in old town

I agree some touts can be very persistant but I dont object to them at all and always politely accept leaflets offered. Then at some time in the day hubby and I sit and have a look through the ones we have collected and see if any place / menu in particular catches our eye. We have had some excellent "meal deals" over the years both in the Old Town and the Strip and often return to a restaurant where we have had flyers from. They certainly havent been overpriced and poor value and we have never been "dragged in off the street". !!

Scotland
Level Contributor
411 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cafe/bar in old town

Try the Steps bar on the steps at the tunnel in the old town.

Also like the Sangria Bar (I think is the name) it's on the lane between the old town square leading towards the steps and the tunnel, the older guy in there does the best caipirinha I have tasted.

The Rock Cafe in the square is great for late live music & nice cocktails & sangria.

http://rockcafe.alburock.com/en/index.html

Also have to mention Fabios Havana Bar which was near the apartment I last stayed at (Cerro Branco) it's kitted out in mostly Cuban decor and he does the best mojito in town for 3.5 euro (try the fresh strawberry one, superb), mostly used by locals and Fabio's a great friendly guy, they have a great pool table as well.

http://goo.gl/maps/11Vvy

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1800255755#!/profile.php?id=100002356988710

Some good restaurants are

Casa da Avo- Grandmother's House

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g189112-…

Jaipur

O Catraio

O Veleiro

6. Re: Cafe/bar in old town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, March 19, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Albufeira