We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Palace Algarve Hotel

London, United...
Level Contributor
363 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Riu Palace Algarve Hotel

Does anyone know when and for how long, this hotel closes next Winter?

Edited: 4:11 am, March 07, 2013
Newcastle, England
Level Contributor
1,596 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Riu Palace Algarve Hotel

It is this year, winter 2013 (nov) - (feb) 2014.

I think Thomson are cutting back on 'slow' resorts in general and focussing on the higher end stuff.

Worrying signs I agree. Though there has been talk of Spain picking up? Depends on what you want to believe?

merseyside
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Riu Palace Algarve Hotel

will have a big effect on surounding small traders, but I suppose The Algarve is not a winter sun destination in the real sense, just happens to be southern Europe with a mild climate , not like canaries ,etc

Edited: 8:47 am, March 07, 2013
wirral
Level Contributor
481 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Riu Palace Algarve Hotel

ahhhh... this is sad news....

will be there easter weekend, and will try to find out anymore info!!

england
Level Contributor
234 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Riu Palace Algarve Hotel

I think this is all part of the TUI group's relentless drive for profit. We have been there several times out of season and occupancy has always been reasonable, certainly no worse than a lot of other places we visit. Although we have noticed economies being made in all the RIU hotels we go to, it is the severe cutting back on flights that is doing the damage.

Newcastle, England
Level Contributor
1,596 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Riu Palace Algarve Hotel

No frills airlines and DIY holidays won't have helped.

But Mr Trotter is probably right with TUI group focussing on profits.

I'm still surprised at the Xmas and New Year closure though for this named hotel. Though ticking over for just two weeks business may well not be worth it.

It will be interesting to see what the winter hotel room rates are going to be, they can't get much lower can they?

London, United...
Level Contributor
363 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Riu Palace Algarve Hotel

Last week they opened their online bookings for Winter 2013/14.So anyone who makes a reservation and books a flight may be taking a bit of an unknown gamble.Hopefully they will deal with this uncertainty soon.

Hampshire,England
Level Contributor
6 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Riu Palace Algarve Hotel

I had made a booking via Alpharooms for Feb 2014 and it has just been cancelled due to "late opening" of the hotel. Given very nice alternative though

18. Re: Riu Palace Algarve Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 15, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Albufeira