We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So many hotel choices!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
66 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
So many hotel choices!

Hi. We're heading to Portugal at the end of April and we're 99% sure we will be staying in Albuferia. I have a few questions you might be able to help me with.

We have about 6 hotels which we are looking at, and cannot decide between them. We would prefer to be closer to the old town, but I believe this may be noisy? We're happy to be within 20min walk to places to eat out, bars etc. I would love sea views but these are either not mentioned on websites, or are a lot more expensive than standard rooms. Budget is about 300 for the week. If anybody has any suggestions I'd appreciate it.

We will be landing at about 11pm, would people recommend getting a bus from the airport to Albufeira, or should we stick to taxis?

How big is the town itself? If we choose a hotel which isn't exactly in a great location, can we still walk everywhere?

Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Albufeira
Albufeira
Faro District, Portugal
Golden Beach by 3HB
Golden Beach by 3HB
#1 of 151 hotels in Albufeira
Falesia Hotel
Falesia Hotel
#5 of 151 hotels in Albufeira
Velamar Boutique Hotel
Velamar Boutique Hotel
#8 of 151 hotels in Albufeira
merseyside
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So many hotel choices!

you wont be able to get a bus you ned to book a transfer with one of the may companies operating from airport have a look at FAQ fpr advice Albufeira is spread over a very large area and hotls saying they are in or close to could be 4 or 5 miles from centre ,also be careful when choosing as lots of Albufeira is very hilly

Mentioned in this post
Albufeira
Albufeira
Faro District, Portugal
Newcastle, England
Level Contributor
1,596 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So many hotel choices!

Have a look at the Sol e Mar, right overlooking the beach and in the Old Town. Doesn't seem to be a true 4*, but decent reviews. I wouldn't think you'd have any problems with noise as it's away from the main busy bars.

Get a private transfer there at least for approx 30 euros per vehicle, not each. Depending on your return flight, you could get a shared transfer at approx 5 euros each?

Hertford, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: So many hotel choices!

Another 100yrds is the Rocamar hotel, this is lovely and superior to the sol e mar in my opinion but not all rooms are sea view , no problem with noise and walking distance to everywhere in the old town. the strip {new town} only 4 euros taxi ride away should you need it

Blackpool, England
Level Contributor
11 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: So many hotel choices!

I'd recommend the Forte do Vale apartments which is smack bang in the middle of both the old & new town, plus the little train stops outside these apartments if you'd rather not walk for a change... The apartments are close to a really good value Supermarket, a bakery and a couple of good bars...

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
66 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: So many hotel choices!

Thank you all. I was just speaking to my husband who suggested that the Old Town might be very quiet in April and we might be better off nearer the strip. Is he right?

The Sol E Mar looks like it has absolutely fantastic views. Thanks for the recommendation. Unfortunately it has no availability for our dates. I have emailed them anyway, maybe they keep some rooms for direct bookings.

Edited: 4:55 pm, February 06, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Hotel Sol e Mar
Hotel Sol e Mar
1,409 Reviews
Albufeira, Portugal
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Albufeira
Level Contributor
8,082 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: So many hotel choices!

Have you looked at the Rocamar, its situated above the cliffs on the beach in the old town, stunning views from hotel pool, some bedrooms have sea-views, but not sure whether it will be within your budget.

rocamarhotels.com/rocamar-beach-hotel.html if you scoll to bottom of page there is a virtual tour of the pool area and beach views.

Regarding it being quiet I don't think there will be much difference between the old town or the strip. A taxi to either is only approx €5 or a 25/30mins walk. You could look at Forte Do Vale or Tropical Sol which are inbetween the old town & Strip. Maybe other forum members can suggest other accommodations.

www.tropicalsol.com.pt/index.aspx?lng=EN sorry there is no website for the Forte Do Vale.

Edited: 5:44 pm, February 06, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Tropical Sol Apartments
Tropical Sol Apartments
941 Reviews
Albufeira, Portugal
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
66 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: So many hotel choices!

Thanks again, the Rocamar looks absolutely stunning, it's outside our budget though. I wish it wasn't as it looks amazing.

Does anybody have any opinion on the Cerro Mar or the Oura view. From what I see the Oura View is right at the strip, I would worry it might be noisy etc. The Cerro Mar appears to be inland. I cannot see any difference between the Cerro Mar Garden and Cerro Mar Atlantico? Are they just two hotels within the same grounds?

We are also looking at the hotel Balaia Mar.

The Forte Do Vale is also a bit outside our budget. 300 is the absolute max. Another fab hotel though.

Edited: 6:03 pm, February 06, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Balaia Mar Hotel
Balaia Mar Hotel
828 Reviews
Albufeira, Portugal
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Albufeira
Level Contributor
8,082 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: So many hotel choices!

Balaia Mar is a bit way out and is east of The Strip. http://www.balaia.com/en/

Oura View Beach Club is directly on the beach and situated at the bottom end of The Strip

petcheyleisure.co.uk/resorts-and-hotels/…

Clube Praia Da Oura owned by same company is just lower down the beach, again just off the bottom end of the strip.

petcheyleisure.co.uk/resorts-and-hotels/…

Ouratlantico is just off the bottom of the strip but isn't affected by noise from it.

http://www.ouratlantico.com/?ac=lang&lg=en

I have stayed here and for the money its really good value, has an indoor pool as well as an outdoor. Apartments are basic but clean and are spacious with full oven, microwave, toaster, fridge.Only problem is if you are in a studio (sleeps up to 3) they are sofa beds, with one which pulls out at floor level so sleeps two people at different levels and other is a single. Only the one bed apartments have proper beds. Although saying that not sure whether the other two resorts are same in studios.

Maybe someone else can comment on Cerro Mar & the other two you have mentioned.

Edited: 6:31 pm, February 06, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Balaia Mar Hotel
Balaia Mar Hotel
828 Reviews
Albufeira, Portugal
Clube Albufeira Resort
Clube Albufeira Resort
482 Reviews
Albufeira, Portugal
Praia da Oura
Praia da Oura
927 Reviews
Albufeira, Portugal
manchester
Level Contributor
107 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: So many hotel choices!

Hi

We also liked the cerro mar but it got confusing as far as I can work out

Cerro mar gardens - is the aparthotel with the gym and indoor pool - I think it's exclusive to thomsons in the summer months

Cerro mar atlantico - is the older part of the complex

Cerro mar Colina - is the newer part

Cerro mar Atlantic view is across the road from the gardens and is private holiday rentals. (You can find thse on sites like owners direct/holiday lettings).

Hope this helps and if I'm wrong on any of the above please correct me.

Edited: 6:52 pm, February 06, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Atlantic View
Atlantic View
170 Reviews
Carvoeiro, Portugal
Letterkenny, Ireland
Level Contributor
74 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: So many hotel choices!

Re Cerro Mar - Garden is the "hotel" and Atlantico consists of 4 seperate blocks of apartments. Regardless of which u stay in you have use of all pools/facilities. 5 mins walk to the old town main square - access via lots of steps but taxi only about €4 if cant manage the steps. Highly recommend Cerro Mar - we have visited twice a year since 2010 ;-) Roll on May!!

Get answers to your questions about Albufeira