We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Albufeira New Year's day 2013

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
15 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Albufeira New Year's day 2013

Hi there.

we have a chance to come to Albufeira for a week, arriving on New Year's day 2013.. Will we have missed all the fireworks and festivities by then, and will there be plenty of places still open after the buzz of New Year's eve?

Hope you can help

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,343 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Albufeira New Year's day 2013

Unfortunately the council is flat broke. We are facing a 25% increase in council tax next year, so 'm afraid many residents will consider spending money of such an 'extravagance' unacceptable.

Let's hope some TV or radio money comes along or NYE will be spent in a bar drinking to excesss.

Hang on...

Wrexham, North wales
Level Contributor
51 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Albufeira New Year's day 2013

Any news onevents for new year we over again 29th Dec had fab time last year

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,343 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Albufeira New Year's day 2013

Nothing at all.

Derby, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Albufeira New Year's day 2013

sounds great do you take your own champagne ?

Derby, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: Albufeira New Year's day 2013

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,343 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Albufeira New Year's day 2013

Not as such. The Portuguese 'tradition' is to go to LIDL, buy a bottle of cheap fizz and at midnight shake it up and spray it over everyone. So don't be wearing your designer clothes or shoes.

For normal consumption, buy a half bottle of vodka, gin etc and a large bottle of coke. Drink half the coke, top up with the vodka, mix and drink. That's why many local bar owners hate New Year's Eve because most people are DIY as it were.

For latecomers reading this item, the NYE entertainment in Albufeira old town by the beach is described here

albufeira.com/forum/new-years-eve-programme-…

1 post
Save Reply
27. Re: Albufeira New Year's day 2013

Hiya! Me and my friend are planning on going to Albufeira for new year flying out 28-2nd January! I go to albufeira a lot so want to spend it there for new year, I've been told by a friend who works there that its brilliant and all the bars are open but just wondering if its full of Portuguese or are there plenty of British people? Hope you can help me

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,343 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Albufeira New Year's day 2013

Of course it is full of Portuguese! They come down from Lisbon and the north in their tens of thousands.

Albufeira has several thousand British residents and we do get a fair number of British (and Irish and Dutch and German) visitors for Christmas and New Year (at least five people I know are coming down) but I would say 80% at least will be Portuguese.

If you haven't found accommodation yet best start looking right now. The number of visitors here will be the same as on a summer day and pretty well everywhere will be booked up sooner or later.

That will not stop you having a good time I trust!

Glasgow, Scotland...
Level Contributor
141 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Albufeira New Year's day 2013

Hi Cheezajay,

I was there last year for new year and yes there are alot of Portuguese people around but you'll find alot of British and Irish people there too.

Sadly i can't make it this year as I have a holiday with the inlaws on 1st January and we're not going to Portugal :(

Have a great trip if you do decide to book you'll love it - Bar Street is packed and the atmosphere is great.

30. Re: Albufeira New Year's day 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 12, 2014